Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Tip or No? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Tip or No? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Tip or No? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Tip or No? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Tip or No? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Tip or No? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Tip or No? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Tip or No? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Tip or No? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Tip or No? Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Tip or No?

+6
24Penguins
BethG
Gutter
sapphire
Lou Lou
mscherry42
10 posters

Go down

Tip or No? Empty Tip or No?

Post  mscherry42 Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 pm

My sister who is 19 1/2 and I were talking yesterday. And she told me that she doesn't tip. The waiter/waitress has to exceptional(which is rare) for her to tip them. We went back and forth on it, but she sticks by her belief that that's their job, and they knew when they took it that tips were optional. I knew she was cheap, but I guess I didn't know just how much. Her boyfriend tips every time they go out, but she tries to discourage him. I tip about 90% of the time. The only time I don't tip is if the service sucked so bad I'm pissed off. Even if they mess up here and there I still tip, maybe not as nice a tip as if they had done well, but still a tip. And I'm not even the best tipper. But, to sit there, and have them do all that work(and we're high maintenance customers!) then not leave a tip, is just horrible IMO. So, now I ask you ladies, do you tip, or not. My sister seems to think that the reason I tip and she doesn't is because I've waitressed before and she hasn't. Do you think this is it?
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19323
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Tip or No? Empty Re: Tip or No?

Post  Lou Lou Fri May 08, 2009 12:13 pm

I tip every time. I don't always tip the same amount but I will leave anywhere from 10% for poor service to 20% for great service. On average I usually leave the standard 15%. My DH is an exceptional tipper. He always leaves at least 20%.

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20166
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  sapphire Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm

I agree, 10% if it wasn't great or around 20ish if was fantastic, but average is 15%. Always 15% actually, unless there was something that really wasn't good and was clearly the server's fault (I won't tip him/her less if the kitchen messed up my food, for example, particularly if she handled it well). I used to work as a server as well and we were paid minimum wage because they EXPECT you will receive tips on top of that. Technically yes it's optional, but getting no tip was like a huge slap in the face and rarely happened. It's optional because it's not on your bill, but really it isn't an option at all IMO. If tipping truly was optional, servers would be paid far more.

I worked as a server both here in Canada and in Australia when I was there for a year, and in Australia it really is optional, and many tables didn't leave a tip (except the North American tourists who felt obligated to leave 15% - we fought over who could serve them!!). But I was paid DOUBLE the hourly rate that I was paid as a server in Canada, and it's totally based on the expectation of tipping.

I'm sure your sister is lovely and I don't want to sound like I'm putting her down, but she obviously doesn't understand how it works in a restaurant.
sapphire
sapphire
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 260
Loyalty Rating : 17848
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 pm

To tell you the truth, I tip sometimes, always depends on my mood, financial situation at the time...

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 19984
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Fri May 08, 2009 1:03 pm

We always tip. Hubby tends to over-tip, in my opinion. He pushes towards 20%; always at least 15% though.

Can't some restaurants actually pay their servers LESS than minimum wage because they expect them to get tips?

I was not a good tipper when I was young.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1776
Loyalty Rating : 22581
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm

i ALWAYS tip, weather its a restraunt or pizza or chinese delivery it doesnt matter. they have to do something so bad as to tell me to shut up or be extremely rude for me to not tip. i have been a waitress working for $3.16 an hour wages, and if i didnt get tips i didnt get paid. my check that i would get every 2 weeks that was just my salary would usually just even out after taxes so that i didnt get paid, either that or i would get between $50-$100 every two weeks. you cant make a living without tips. that said, i went out of my way to try and be extremely polite, helpful, and sometimes extra special just for my table. i did what i needed to do to make their meal enjoyable, so i was always offended if i didnt get ANY tip, or if it was under 5% i found that to be rude.

also, i delivered pizzas. you get paid minimum wage (in my state that was $5.15/hour) and the company i worked for (papa johns) gave us $1 for every delivery we made to cover gas and maintenance. the dollar didnt even cover gas, and again all your taxes came out of your check, so that was usually small. its the same deal, but your out of work if your car breaks... it sucks!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18688
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  galaxy Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 pm

I have worked as a waitress myself in the past and I know I'm gonna get thumbs down for this but I agree with your Sister MSCherry. At the end of the day they get paid a wage/salary to do what they are doing so for me they really have to go the extra mile to earn a tip, though I tip well when I do depending on the occasion and what they did. It doesn't matter if they mess up, it's how they deal with their mistake that matters and whether they make you feel relaxed. I work hard for my money and if I'm just going to have a meal put in front of me and then have a hard time getting someone to bring me more drinks then it's not worth spending the money as I may as well be at home.
There are many jobs that involve good customer service and none of them get tips so why just waiting staff?? I have to give good customer service in my job even when people are soooo rude to me yet get no thanks for it at all, it's just part of my job that I already get paid for. I think waiting staff should count themselves lucky that they have the oportunity to go the extra mile to earn more money!
galaxy
galaxy
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 768
Loyalty Rating : 19596
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12fd6f

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri May 08, 2009 4:16 pm

galaxy, i would agree with you BUT you will find the probably 99% of the time a waitress's salary is TINY TINY compared to ANY other customer service job! i dont know what you got paid when you were a waitress, but in the states, you cant live off of under $3.00 an hour, thats outrageous.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 pm

As a waitress in Utah... I made $2.13 per hour PLUS tips. So if people didn't tip... I barely made any money. You never know what a server is actually paid.

IMO... the tip is part of the cost of going out to dinner. I always give at least 15 percent... 20 percent if the server is exceptional.

If you don't have the money to tip... get a take out.

I don't leave tips in take out restaurants. If I sit down to eat and I am served... I do.
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20775

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri May 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Princess_Longbottom wrote:As a waitress in Utah... I made $2.13 per hour PLUS tips. So if people didn't tip... I barely made any money. You never know what a server is actually paid.

IMO... the tip is part of the cost of going out to dinner. I always give at least 15 percent... 20 percent if the server is exceptional.

If you don't have the money to tip... get a take out.

I don't leave tips in take out restaurants. If I sit down to eat and I am served... I do.

exactly!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  galaxy Fri May 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Gosh, the pay for waiting staff here is much more. In France I was earning about $2000 per month, it was very good and in the uk about $10 per hour.
galaxy
galaxy
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 768
Loyalty Rating : 19596

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12fd6f

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

galaxy wrote:Gosh, the pay for waiting staff here is much more. In France I was earning about $2000 per month, it was very good and in the uk about $10 per hour.

That is AWESOME pay! I wish it was like that here in the states. Some states pay minimum wage per hour.... some states don't, they pay half of minimum wage and then get away with it by telling the servers that if they don't make at least minimum wage on a certain day... to let them know.

I once had a day where it snowed so bad that we only had 2 customers all day. I made no tips, only my hourly rate of $2.13. I told my boss, and she said that I would make up for it in tips on another day!

The things they get away with. Grrrh!
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20775

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Fri May 08, 2009 6:01 pm

I tip every time, unless it is horrible. I tip usually 15-20%. DH tips more like 20%+.

Galaxy, in France you got paid much more as a waitress, but people are not expected to leave tips there. Tips (gratuity) are included in the menu prices there, so people only tip a little bit to get less change back (unless service was extremely good). But of course, if the clients are tourists in France, they will tip a lot still, cause they don't know that they are not expected to tip.
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 20974

Back to top Go down

Post  Toffee Fri May 08, 2009 6:06 pm

I do when I have the money and if I feel they deserve it. Some just don't care! I've worked in the food business for years lol.

In the UK the wages are far better. I get £5.73 ph which is min wage for 22+ year olds ($8.73) that being said, it does NOT go very far.
Toffee
Toffee
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1071
Loyalty Rating : 17875

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down