Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Weaning??? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Weaning??? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Weaning??? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Weaning??? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Weaning??? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Weaning??? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Weaning??? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Weaning??? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Weaning??? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Weaning??? Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Weaning???

+5
Mum of jj
24Penguins
Angel
Lou Lou
Ginny
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weaning??? Empty Weaning???

Post  Ginny Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey!
As I am sure you are away by my belly aching, that Thane is almost one!!!! he will be one on Jan 18th Smile/happy He is already drinking some cow's milk now as of Monday. I was wondering when I can stop pumping at work? He still will eat while i am home from me, but during the day, can Jaime just give him cow's milk only or would it be better to keep him on breastmilk during the day?

I am not sure what to do :S

Thanks!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20167
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Weaning??? Empty Re: Weaning???

Post  Lou Lou Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 am

Hey Ginny -
How often do you pump at work? I would try to slowly reduce the number of times you pump - like drop one pump session or if you only pump once start reducing the amount of time you pump. That way, it wont be so hard (literally!) I just dropped Owen's last feeding on Saturday and was shocked to be engorged until yesterday! It hurt like crap too!

Let us know how it goes! I'm really proud of you for sticking with it for a whole year! I still have mixed emotions about stopping at 7 months!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20325

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:06 am

Ginny,I think it would be a GREAT time,the fact that he likes cows milk,is at an age where he can drink it soley is great.Also you get to reclain your body some.I wrote a LONG repsonse on here yesterday but decided against posting it because I ranted a little bit about stuff and when I read it back I realised it might be offensive to certain people.Anyway,I think that it would be a good time for you,the pro's of keeping breastfeeding are

*closeness
*great nutrition for Thane
*conveinience in the night Smile/happy

I would say now the cons outweigh the pro\s if you're anything like me

*shirt lifting! (Public LOL)
*Teeth! (ouch)
*Doesnt NEED it for food anymore
*Needs to find another way to be comforted (like daddy,god knows I NEED this!LOL)
*Get your body back ENTIRELY LOL
*Get to sleep more at night

Ultimately it's up to you you dont have to stop breastfeeding EVER if you dont want to,but I think now with all that is going on with Thane learning to drink cows milk by himself,eating,walking and everything it might be time.If he's not drinking the breast milk,the ship it to me Wink LOL

You have done a GREAT job,the best that you can for him as far as nutrition.They 'say' that 6 months is ideal,then they fall into the category of having less allergies,illnesses n stff like that,so as far as thats concerned mission accomplished.The fact that he drinks cows milk,part two of the mission accomplished,I think now it's a case of weaning mama and baby from each other,thats the hard part that you have to let go of (when you're ready of course) I think you have done WONDERFULLY! Smile/happy
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21376
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks Holi!

I have another question for those of you who have successfully weaned...HOW DO YOU DO IT!? Thane absolutely loves the boobie (he lika da booby!) Smile/happy And I don't know how on God's Green Earth I am going to wean him completely. In the past day or so, I really have thought about it and esp with him walking and being so independent, I feel like it should be time...BUT he LOVES to nurse Cry I don't know what to do. He nurses at naptime and bedtime and then throughout the night (probably like midnight and 5 am) and then if I am lying down he pulls up my shirt to get to it.

Part of me wishes I could wait a little while longer so I can say, "No lets not get milk out of mommy's boobie, let's drink from a cup" and he will say "Ok!" Smile/happy But that's wishful thinking!!

He does drink cow's milk now and does fairly well, but i am still nursing a lot on weekends on demand (as always) and he prefers it to the cup or the sippy.

For those of you who have succesfully weaned WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!?!?!?!?! I am at a loss here Cry

Thanks!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I would start by cutting out the easiest feedings first. So, say, from 8 am to 8 pm. Also, is he sleeping in the bed with you guys at night? If so, you may want to start putting him in his own room. If he is drinking plenty during the day then the night time feedings are not so much for nourishment but for comfort. (I'm sure you know that, though!)
If you just focus on the daytime feedings right now and he sleeps in his own bed he might stop waking as much in the night.
I know that Owen started sleeping through the nights once I added mostly formula to his diet.
I think the key is to go slow and just start implementing no nurse hours. It may be helpful to let Ray feed him as much as possible for one weekend.
Ginny, I feel like I'm rambling!!!! I guess I don't what the solution is! Owen adjusted super easy so I can't imagine how hard it must be to do it!

I have another weening question....... I'm not trying to hijack but here goes:

I haven't nursed Owen at all since last Friday morning and I thought I would be over the engorgement part but I am still really engorged and today my boobs hurt. REALLY BAD. It hurt to put my bra on after my shower today. How long is this going to last and what can I do to help my aching boobs? Also, TMI, but the itch like crazy. I'm dying!!!!!! HELP!
ANYONE?!!!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:54 am

well i only BF for 6 days, but long enough for my milk to come in, and for me it was 2 days of cold cabbage leaves in my bra lol! that really helped SO much!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18847
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Mum of jj Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:43 am

My friend stopped BF a few months ago and drank sage tea 3 times a day to help her dry up so maybe visit a health shop and see if you can get some of that or something similar?? Good luck
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Number of posts : 622
Loyalty Rating : 17667

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 am

Yes,cabbage leaves in the fridge help with the pain,maybe see a doc,I think they can give you a diuretic.It shouldnt last more than 3-4 days an then should have subsided completely by a week.I would see a doc and at the very least take a batural diuretic to help you de ....'milk' LOL.I am sorry Loulou,I know it sucks from when I did it before.Mine didnt last long though.xx

GInny,I think you're doing the right thing,they say cut out one feed at a time.At some point you're going to have to say no to THane when he wants to nurse.perhaps have some other 'treat' or comfort planned out for him.He doesnt have concept of time so he's not going to understand why you wont nurse him at XXX time.I would just make sure he has eaten enough of something else.TRY and get him to drink lots of cows milk as well so he's not full for nap time and then maybe put like a really tight shirt/bra on and cuddle him and just keep your top down and say 'no' gently ,that way he will get to understand that he can still have a cuddle but not nurse...I don't know if that will work.I didnt have this trouble with Teo coz I only fed him exclusively until 6 weeks of age,then I introduced a bottle and only fed him myself at night,it was easy to drop that habbit for me (again he was only 4 months).I dont kwno what I will do with Tia.I think it's about being consitant.Once you make a choice you have to push forward with it and be prepared for tears,tantrums and a couple of sleepless nights.One thing I know for sure is,if you go back on your decision,it will be harder and harder each time you try.I don't know what to suggest really.It really is up toyou,heck you know people still nurse their kids until they're 8!! LOL,Not saying you SHOULD do that but it's what you're prepared to deal with ...

I found some tips from mums who have dunnit here.Hope you find a way that works for you!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_weaning-tips-from-moms-whove-been-there_8497.bc

http://mightymommy.quickanddirtytips.com/weaning-breastfed-babies.aspx

http://www.parents.com/baby/breastfeeding/weaning/weaning-baby-from-breast/

This one sais something about shirt lifting thogh you might want to see it LOL

http://askville.amazon.com/great-advice-tips-weaning-toddler-15-months-stubborn-day-time-nursing/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8653011
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone!
And yes, Holi, that totally is relevent to me and THane cuz he does that pulling up my shirt all the time and does the back and forth with his head trying to find the nips! Tongue Crazy boy!!!

Well...today has gone pretty well. He is in his bedroom napping in his crib - like maybe the 5th time he's ever been in it - I don't care I love that time I spend with him! BUT....He went to sleep with me ROCKING HIM AND SINGING! NO NURSING!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! I don't really want to sat WEAN RIGHT NOW to him cuz he literally is so damn picky most of his nourishment is from me. Knowing this, i have a hard time just quitting cold turkey and I don't plan to. He nursed this morning around 945 and its 3 pm here and he hasn't nursed since. When he gets up from his nap, I will offer cow's milk in a sippy cup, then i may nurse him just for relief - if he will...he likes getting around so much its hard to get him to stop and eat! He also fell asleep at his 11 am nap by dancing with me to Bubba playing Guitar Hero really loud - LOL he LOVES loud stuff like vaccuums, TV blaring, etc. He's always been like that Smile/happy

I have heard to cut out 1 feed at a time..I can't really do that cuz he is fed on demand, and always has been, so I have no freakin clue when I would be cutting one out...he just kinda eats when he wants. BUT, the fact that I did not nurse him to sleep for his nap is saying something Smile/happy cuz i've NEVER done that before! I just really want this to be an OK experience for him. I wanted him to self wean, and honestly he SORTA is cuz he doens't nurse much. he mostly just wants to know that I still love him i think. cuz after work he wants to nurse for like 2 min and then he's like OK MOMMY loves me! And he's down to run Smile/happy LOL

Thank you so much for your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XXXX

Last edited by Ginny on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited my text cuz I didn't like how it sounded!)
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Ginny
It sounds like you guys had a good day! My DH never understood why I enjoyed having Owen sleep with us. I just loved being able to snuggle him and he was always so warm and cuddly!!! If he wakes up early in the morning I will go get in our guest bed and we will go back to sleep and snuggle sometimes!! heehee!!

Last night I got online and read to try some ibprophen and it helped a ton and I am feeling much better today!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Yay, that's great Lou Lou. I am glad you are feeling better today. Smile/happy
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21133
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 pm

i just wanted to say more power to all of you for BFing as long as you have!! i was a bit saddened when i couldnt BF past 6 days, but our life was so easier when i stopped. but i think you guys are sooooo awesome for sticking with it as long as you have!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18847

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:48 pm

awe! thanks nika! that is very sweet! Smile/happy we all have done so great with our babies!

Lou Lou, I know exactly what you mean about snuggling!!! Ray is cool with him being in the bed w us as long as thane doesnt kick the crap out of him! it gives us other places and times to dtd besides in the bed at night Tongue Haha!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Sorry I forgot to say that I went without nursing from 945 to 4 pm this afternoon and at 4pm he nursed for 2 minutes and got down. Then I nursed again around 7ish cuz my boobs were killing me and my pump is at work - maybe for about 7 or 8 min. Then before bed, instead of putting him in my bed, I nursed him in the living room for another 7 or 8 minutes and he started to fall asleep so i put him in his playyard and patted his butt. BUT what was hilarious!!! He is learning to communicate his wants and dislikes with me by shaking his head no and squealing for yes. Well I took my boob out at 830 and said "Want some milk?" And he looked at me and shook his NOOO!!! And I laughed and put him down. So, at least we are communicating Tongue He had about 1.5 cups of cows milk today and barely nursed, but he also had 1/2 thing of yogurt. So, I think he is fine. Plus, he eats fruit so is getting water from that too.
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:32 am

I know what you mean! Our sex life is FINALLY starting to be like normal! I remember the first few weeks after Owen was born I thought we'd never have time to DTD again! I remember crying about it! haha!!!!

The best part of your story about offering Thane milk was that he said "No!" To me, that means you two are going through the weaning process together and he seems to be ok with it! Doesn't that make it so much easier?! It's a team effort!
But, I'll bet your boobs WERE killing you! The things we do for our babies!!!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 am

Hey Ladies- Ginny i am so proud of you feeding for so long lol, i weaned by dropping one feed every week to two weeks and LOu LOU- I was in agonay after dropping the first feed for nearly two weeks, i thought i cant do this, but then it started to become ok, then it was easier each feed i dropped except when i finished completly ( the last feed) then i was in pain again for two weeks but more one boob than the other.
Ginny- good luck with it babe and you just do what you think is right

You know its funny after i stopped BF i seemed to get my sex drive back in full force again and was enjoying it heaps and then.... i fell pregnant again heheheh
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1294
Loyalty Rating : 19635

Back to top Go down

Post  D4A Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 am

Massive well done Ginny for breast feeding this long, you have done a great job and your baby has now so much benefits for the rest of his life because of that! Do you feel proud? You should do!

Hey sparkles Congrats!!!!!! Smile/happy Just when you thought life was coming to some sort of normality hehe ! Oh its great though! If you have another girl theyll be best of friends!

I am scared to wean until she weans herself as Im like you sparkles, Im in agony if I drop a feed. And I get mastitis if I get slightly run down and miss a feed. That is awful! sick

Hows little Thane doing without boobie xxx
D4A
D4A

Number of posts : 36
Loyalty Rating : 17166
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

Thank you Sparkles and Lou Lou!!

That is wonderful to know Sparkles about your "drive" cuz noramlly me and Ray are like an all the time couple Wink But since I had Thane I haven't been anywhere near as rearing to go as before. So, that gives me great comfort!!! I mean sometimes, yea...but not quite as much as before Smile/happy Oh Goodness, but I don't need to be pg that's for sure! he told me the other day that if i really wanted a little girl we could adopt! Not sure what that was all about...but I am perfectly happy with Thane and Blaine anyway Smile/happy

Thanks for the kind words on nursing Thane! It actaully has not been VERY hard at all to nurse him this long cuz he's so daggum picky that the boobie was ALL he would take LOL He has been a super easy kid to nurse and latched on right at birth with no trouble, so really I can't take all the credit cuz he's a very awesome little boy to have figured it out so well LOL! But, no seriously, thank you very much. It means a lot! Esp since the inlaws are SOOOOOOOOO anti nursing!!!!! :@ Very annoying...

But anyway, last night went pretty well. he slept from 930 til 2 am and woke up and yelled for me to come get him. he didn't cry, he just rocked back and forth going "AHHHHH!" to get my attention. Ray got up with him and brought him to me. I don't think I nursed him that time, but I did at like 5 am cuz he was soooooooo thirsty! When I pump today I'll try to pump less than usual.

Then I'll pack it up and send it to Tia! Tongue

haha we cross posted D!!! Thane isnt going completely without boobie cuz I just can't do the cold turkey thing Smile/happy But, he is doing pretty good. He only nursed maybe once (maybe twice during the night). Now today he is with the sitter cuz im working and I will try to distract him as long as I can this afternoon, or I may just nurse him this afternoon and then nurse him closer to bedtime but not FOR bedtime. This is going to be a SLLLLOOOWWWW process, and he may be nursing for a couple more months or something Smile/happy I am patient Smile/happy
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am

Haha thats SO cool about Thane shaking his head and communicating with you.He's so smart! Smile/happy It will also make it easier now for you to find out what he wants.I am so glad things are sort of happening naturally.It's also good that he likes cows milk. I think you're doig great! Anyway...I will have your milk!LOL Give it to Tia,I reckon Ray says you can adopt one because he wants your body back! Tongue Also...I reckon that you guys plan to steal Tia from me if I come and stay Tongue LOL
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 pm

my SIL has three children and she nursed them all until age one - except for her youngest.... she couldn't bare to give it up and so he nursed every night before bed until he was 3! She said he would lay in bed and scream "MILK!" until she came and nursed him! She just gave it up about 2 months ago..... I'm telling ya.... the bond is strong!!!!

I am feeling much better today and I'm able to wear some of the bras I wore early in my pregnancy but still not my pre pregnancy bras. Also - like Sparkles - my sex drive is through the roof!!!!!!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks D, i hope you and J are well hun xoxo and i was also scared to wean as i got mastitis and blocked ducts sooo easy but i managed. and yes i am hoping my children will be close in age we are going to find out the sex lol

Lou Lou- glad your feeling better hun, my boobs ended up going smaller after weaning, so i actually struggled to fit into my pre preg bras.

Ginny- Thane is a clever little man, loves the booby doesnt he, but its so wonderful and i just want to say you sound like the best mum to Blaine as well, it really touches me to see how much you love him as well as Thane, Ray and Blaine are very lucky xo

Isnt it funny about our sex drive lol, it just must have something to do with the hormones while feeding lol

good luck ladies
I am really hoping to be able to breast feed again i kow it will be harder for me this time ( well easier as i will know what im doing lol) but harder as i will have as Kyrah will be 16 months old so i will be super busy etc, but i am going to try my hardest and try and make it a special time for Kyrah and i too, reading stroies having her snack times at the same time as bubby does, maybe have a special colour book or something she gets while i am feeding. I will try it all lol
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1294
Loyalty Rating : 19635

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:19 pm

aWE! you are so sweet Sparkles!!! You will be a wonderful mommy to two little babies its obvious! You are already thinking of little Kyrah and that's so sweet!!! She is a lucky little girl Smile/happy You will be just fine, and let me tell you, regardless if its a boy or a girl, they will be close and love each other very much Smile/happy Its so sweet!!!!!!!!!!

And thank you, yes I love Blaine more than anything also!! I tend to not write about him quite as much cuz he is almost 9 and not a whole lot going on at the moment with him LOL But man, I WISH i'd have had ya'll when he was little! He was SUCH a good boy though, and so very sweet. He still is. I askedh im last night if he wanted to come home next sat nite or next sunday morning for thane's party and he said 'SAT NIGHT!! SAT NIGHT!!!" He's so sweet Smile/happy

well thane just nursed for 3 minutes on one boob i put him off for an hour! Smile/happy so he nursed at like 6am then4 pm. he had like 8 oz of cow's milk today. wonder how much he should be getting...i'll look it up.

anyway, thank you ladies! Smile/happy
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

This thread has been sooo interesting to read for me. I am still nursing full-time but it will come a day when I will have to wean too and I have so nooo clue about that stuff :lol:

But what I loved reading was getting your sex-drive back after weaning. Hmmmm, yes please.......that would be awesome! Smile/happy
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21133
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  D4A Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 am

id love my sex drive back too!! lol
D4A
D4A

Number of posts : 36
Loyalty Rating : 17166
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sat May 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Hey ladies!

I am a little bummed as i am on AF and don't really know if that is most of my emotional craziness...probably.

Thane is still nursing, he has always been on demand, and is STILL on demand...he drinks from a sippy but prefers to nurse...although sometimes i wonder, are you REALLY even drinking??? Confused He still wakes up in the night, once to get in my bed and nurse and then several times during the night beside me to nurse...i am asleep so i don't know if he is getting a lot to drink or not. He is 16 months old now, and I would really like to continue until he is closer to 2 years old, so I guess I jsut need a pick me up to tell me NO i don't need Lime Cactus beer or a margarita, and it will be ok! I think Ray is getting tired of Thane still waking up in the night, but its cuz he knows that i will get him and put him in my bed, but to be honest, i like it that way, i love sleeping with ray half the night and thane half the night. its the perfect sharing for me! besides, thane is my only baby that i will ever have, so i want to cherish it Wink

anyway, had to rant cuz i am SICK sometimes of BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like last night, i laid on my stomach and said NO BOO!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! So daddy attempted to sing to him to sleep..didn't work Wink needed boo....oh well! SIGH.... thansk for listening!!!!!!!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down