Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!!

+4
Georgi
skyllar
Angel
Ginny
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Empty Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!!

Post  Ginny Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm

YAY! Holi you will especially be happy for me! We live in TN, which is known as part of the NEW tornado alley in the US. We actually have the most deaths in the US from tornadoes, because most of ours happen at night Cry

WELL...FINALLY after much discussion and hair pulling Ray and I have finally decided to get the Hurricane Vault (which can withstand an F4 tornado - 200 mph winds) AND its going in my bedroom closet!! I ordered it on Friday and we will be getting it next weekend. Its gonna be some extensive work. I should take pix like Gutter did!!!!

I'm SOOOOOO EXCITED THOUGH! I am horrified of tornadoes and now I have somehwere safe for my family! Smile/happy XXXX
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20095
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Empty Re: Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!!

Post  Angel Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 pm

woohoo Ginny!thats great,I was kinda hoping you would get the underground one.Would feel safer if you were under ground,but that vault is as tough as they get and I am sure it's very safe and it will make you feel better.What happend to the other plans?I am so glad it's coming quikly...may is a busy month for tornados! Please take pics.OI want to see Smile/happy
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21304
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Empty Re: Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!!

Post  skyllar Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Yay!!! That sounds great Ginny!!! Yeah, with tornado season starting back up you will feel and be much safer. Could you post a pic when you get the shelter? I cannot imagine this thing at all..... Ashamed
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21061
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Thank you!

Holi, Rays vision of the underground was NOT my vision of the underground one, plus the sunroom + shelter was gonna be over 20k. This new idea is going to be IN our bedroom, so we don't have to go far to jump in the closet and then we are safe! PLUS its about $6500 instead! If you wanna look at the site...its www.remagensaferooms.com and we are getting the Hurricane Vault. The Storm Closet (F5 tornado resistant) was gonna be way more and I know he wouldn't go for that!

BUT, I am very excited! I have wanted a shelter since I was about 17 so I am very happy!! Smile/happy
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgi Sun May 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Would it be like a panic room???? Confused
Georgi
Georgi
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2544
Loyalty Rating : 21357

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/Cleo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun May 10, 2009 4:33 pm

yes georgi, a lot like a panic room. we are pulling up the floor and putting down a concrete slab that the room will be anchored on. the room is made of 14 guage steel i believe. Smile/happy
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Holy cow Ginny that'll be awesome to have just incase!! I've always thought of tornados as an amazing thing, but in reality it's soooo scary!! It'll be a good thing to have and I bet a good feature to have if you ever move aswell (not saying that you will, but always a good way to sell your house too, I bet). Yeah take some pics for sure!!!! I'm probably annoying everyone with my pics, haha!!! We aren't done, but I'm soooo excited, should be another month and a half until I get my kitchen YAY!!!

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20071
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgi Sun May 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Gosh, I can't understand why on earth you've never had one put in until now!!!! And where are your clothes going to go LOL???
Georgi
Georgi
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2544
Loyalty Rating : 21357

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/Cleo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sun May 10, 2009 4:46 pm

HAHA! my clothes weren't in there anyway! Tongue it was ray's stuff mostly. I have an armoire. But, the closet will still be used as a closet. we just get to hide in there now during storms and it will protect us Smile/happy About a month ago, there were some deaths about 40 miles from my house in Murfreesboro. A mother and her little newborn, so that really got me thinking about it even more than normal. So, i am really happy that me and ray came up with a plan that HE will go for too Smile/happy
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Sun May 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Wow, thanks for posting the link - Ginny. I had no idea what it would look like. Sounds like much needed protection for you and your family. I am glad you guys ordered it! Smile/happy
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I actually never of such a thing! But very cool. Almost all houses around here have basements (cellars) unless you're in an area where the water table is too high. So I never *really* worry about storms.

In October 2001 our area was hit by a string of tornados. My house did not take a direct hit or anything but sustained very bad water damage because our house was being re-roofed at the time. My in-laws were a couple miles away in the area with the most damage. They had $14,000+ of damage to their home -- a crane was required to lift a tree off their house. But the damage to their home was relatively minor considering. Unlike Tennesse, our tornados DO NOT seem to come at night. More later in the afternoon or early evening. This 2001 tornado was maybe around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Gutter, does Canada ever get tornados? I don't recall ever hearing of one.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1776
Loyalty Rating : 22668
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Mon May 11, 2009 3:18 pm

BethG wrote: Gutter, does Canada ever get tornados? I don't recall ever hearing of one.

LOL, no we actually don't, what we get are called micro-burst, haha!! We had a few in the area a few years ago, I remember it got really windy I thought our furnace pipe wouldn't be able to withstand all that wind, but it turned out fine. Only a few wooded areas north of us and just west of the city I work in got hit, but only tree damage.

I was obsessed with the Twister movie when it came out, I wanted to be a tornado chaser when I grew up Smile/happy

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Mon May 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Ok so here are my starting pix! The floor is GONE already shock I have a big @ss hole (Edit reason...I just realized I said I have a big @sshole in my house Tongue ) in my house now til Thursday!!!! That's when the concrete is comiing...

BEFORE:
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Downsi12
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Downsi13

The floor is now gone, you are looking at the crawlspace:
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! 05110910

And my friend Marc who is doing the work:
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Downsi14
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Georgi - you asked why she hadn't gotten one before now and I think for most of us that live in an area that is prone to tornadoes it just becomes a way of life and most of the time (in the areas Ginny and I live) they aren't THAT severe but in the last 4/5 years they have become more dangerous.
Beth - I've ever met anyone with a basement in the south! The first time I ever saw a basement was when my husband I went to visit his Grandmother in Ohio when I was 20!!!! It totally freaked me out and I couldn't go past the 2 stair!!!!!

Ginny I know you will feel much safer than you do sitting in the bathtub with a pillow over your head! (That's what we do!)

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20253

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Mon May 11, 2009 8:01 pm

lol, we have a basement. but out of the 3 houses ive lived in since ive moved back to NC this is the only one! hahaha.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18775
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Haha! Actually Lou Lou, its in the middle closet with the motorcycle helmet on! Tongue I have been scared of tornadoes since one hit my daddy's dairy barn (with him in it!! - he was fine by the way...he said "Wow, i thought it was a little windy! :O ) when I was 17. I haven't been quite rite during storms ever since Cry To see the destruction and knowing it was a weak one :S Then there have been so many tornado deaths the last several years, and the tornadoes seem to keep finding their way to my road!!!! So, finally i was like screw it! I am going to get one (if ray will say yes!) and finally, Holi knows...he finally said ok! He thinks its ridiculous, but funny who was calling me freakin out last month when they named OUR road for the tornado WARNING!? He was worried about Thane just as I was and on the news I saw the circles for the tornado right on top of our house but THANK GOD it didn't touch down til after it went past my house and landed at the air force base instead...

But anyway, I am just really thankful and grateful to finally have some peace of mind after 14 years!

I told ray "Now watch, there won't even be a thunderstorm now!" Tongue
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Great startup pics Ginny, looking forward to the progress Smile/happy

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 am

Oh, love the pics, Ginny. It was so hard to imagine it (and still is, lol)...so this will be great if you could keep sharing pics about it.....thanks!
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Sat May 16, 2009 9:01 am

well the concrete is slab is down and now we are sorta in limbo til the steel comes in next wed or so. so basically i just have a concrete floor room Smile/happy
Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! 05140911
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Sat May 16, 2009 9:14 am

How exciting hun!!! Can't wait to see the end result!!

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Sun May 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Wow, Ginny. That's great. Can't wait to see how it progresses - still have a hard time imagining what it will look like. Confused
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Thu May 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok looks like it will be done tomorrow i think Smile/happy YAY!!

Here is the pic BEFORE drywall (sorry the pic ain't all that great!):

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! 05280910
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Fri May 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Ok here is the drywall: ALMOST DONE!!!!

he needs to add the light, switch, and of course, the big @ss 200 lb steel door Smile/happy But its almost done!

Woo hoo! Gettin my storm shelter!!!!! Downsi15
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri May 29, 2009 7:10 pm

lookin good!!! hahaha i love thanes little head in the corner checkin everything out Smile/happy
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18775
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 pm

haha! yeah thats' fun trying to keep him out of the way!!

Oh wow, what are you naming your little girl??? Hang on andi 'll check your sig! Oh tha'ts a GORGEOUS name!! I LOVE IT Smile/happy I have always LOVED the name Elizabeth Smile/happy Very sweet!!!!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum