Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes

2 posters

Go down

Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes Empty Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes

Post  mscherry42 Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:15 pm

So, I read an article today about this awesome 16 year baseball player who made the cover of Sports Illustrated. His dad just announced that the kid is going to forego the rest of high school, get a GED, go to a junior college, so that he can go to the MLB draft next year. The author of the article pointed out his views, then asked what others thought. I have a thought and just wanted to know what my mommy friends thought. I would also love to know if the boy's mother had any say in the decision making.

I have always been a firm believer in going to college. But, my reason was not to broaden a person's intellect, but simply to get a good job. Now that we're in this crazy economy where people with master's degrees are having a hard time finding jobs, luck and "who you know" have emerged as huge advantages over skill. So, I say, if the kid can get in there, make $20 million or so, get passed over by more new and better talent in a few years, then he's done better than most parents' kids. let's hope someone can keep with him and teach him some life skills along the way, so he's not an ignorant a@@ athlete who can't hold a decent interview.

If I see a really good opportunity for either of my girls to make that kind of money, I think I'll help them go for it. I would rather them have money and do what they love than to go to college then struggle to find a decent job that will allow them not to struggle. I would continue to teach and instill values and sense into them, but would not pass up a great opportunity such as that just to go to college. I'll be honest, my first time around in college, I did not learn much of anything that helped prepare me for life.

Now, let me know what you think. Oh, here is the link
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-I-mostly-support-Bryce-Harper-s-decision-to-?urn=mlb,170270
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes Empty Re: Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes

Post  dolly's momma Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 am

The only thing I can add to what you have said is what about if he doesn't make the big leagues? Alot of potential talent doesn't pan out, and many, many players never see that big payday. What if that happens? Is it worth losing all those other things to take a shot at the big time? What will he have to fall back on?

I think our society over values celebrities and athletes. But that is a whole different conversation.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18395
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes Empty Re: Mothers of Potential Money Making Athletes

Post  mscherry42 Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 am

well Dolly,
the article says that he is going to junior college. So, at least he'll be going to college. And if he doesn't make it, he can still transfer to a regular university and continue pursuing a degree.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down