Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Autism???? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Autism???? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Autism???? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Autism???? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Autism???? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Autism???? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Autism???? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Autism???? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Autism???? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Autism???? Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Autism????

+6
dolly's momma
Angel
24Penguins
skyllar
mscherry42
Ginny
10 posters

Go down

Autism???? Empty Autism????

Post  Ginny Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey ladies!
Ray just freaked me out cuz when THane was rocking himself on the couch (he actually slams his head into the cushions to "Rock") ray said that he was worried he may have autism! Cry Anytime ray says something like this i get concerned. Cry What do ya'll think? Do your babies rock or anything like that Cry
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20113
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Autism???? Empty Re: Autism????

Post  mscherry42 Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 pm

No, but she throws herself onto floor extremely hardlaughs, and repeats over and over. lol Sorry, seriously though, Thane is a normal healthy boy. Did your doctor do the autism test on Thane? Jayden's doctor had me fill out this survey of questions about Jayden, and a few on there were directly related to autism, which he said she definitely did not have. So, don't freak, and ask Thane's doc to just look him over and let you know what his professional opinion is.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks mscherry! I dunno what to think, i am trying not to look it up. He seems to only do it (well mostly do it...when he is tired.) I am scared though, i don't want him to have that! I will have to call the doc now tomorrow as if ih avn'et been there enough lately Tongue I dunno...I hope ray is just crazy!!!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:26 pm

You know what. I just thought of something else. Jayden used to like to beat her head up against walls and headboards, and kind of hard too. And also, when she used to get sleepy, she would "root" as I call it, and head butt me by rocking back into me. I think it's their way of calming and soothing themselves to sleep.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Ginny -- throwing his head back is normal for kids his age. I read about this when Kian started doing it, and it is in most kids harmless. A lot of kids do that when trying to put themselves to sleep or when they are tired. Others do it to get attention. They will outgrow it. Kian only did it at night when going to bed and putting himself to sleep. After having read tons of stuff about it, I wasn't worried anymore and I just ignored it. He sometimes does it a tiny bit, but usually doen't do it anymore (at this point, at least).

For it to be a sign of autism, there should be other, much more important warning signs. Like, the child does not make eye contact with anybody (never makes eye contact). Or, the child does not engage in pretend play (i. e. take a remote or block and use it as a telephone; or some other imaginary play). I read a lot about autism, because my DH is older and we are at a little bit higher risk for autism then.

I hope that helps. I will try and find you some more info about autism. But please, don't worry the head banging is normal and is not a sign of autism.
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21079
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 pm

ginny, kaydee rocks herself to sleep in her crib every night, and it sounds like there is an earthquake going on in there sometimes lol! she actually bangs the crib with such force that she moves it across the room sometimes (we have hardwood floors lol). when she started doing that it kinda freaked us out a bit as we werent entirely sure what she was doing in there, but when we peeked in on her, shes actually pretty much asleep on her tummy with her little booty in the air rocking like head to toe if that makes any sense. i have no inclination to believe she has any form of autism at all from it either.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18793
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:08 pm

woah woah woah woah!Y'all (yes Y'ALL) need to chill the heck out.Thane is not autistic,it's normal to do that,he will grow out of it,and he doesnt have any other symptoms,its a combination of sevral that make it poissible to diagnose kids with it.Also,if he DID have any of the behviours,I bet you anything it would clear up when you all get on the diet! Smile/happy He's fine,a normal sweet,healhty,happy boy!

love you xxx
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21322
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:49 pm

YOU SAID YA'LL Tongue

No just kidding...yeah I started really analyzing his behaviors and this what i noticed that scared me.

* When I get home he's happy to see me at the front door, but when I come in he shakes his head no and runs away. he VERY rarely lets me hold him or hug him

* He's started doing this thing with his hands when he's excited or upset that you took something away from him and starts shaking his hands

* he used to say "truck" jsut fine but for several months he just grunts! he will say "Big Car" but then "Big Knnnn" or something weird like that :S

But anyway, there are some more things that i read online that i thougth was strange, but my baby brother is autistic, but never been diagnosed completely...and he isn't doing things like him. My brother actually watches him closely to see if he has "symptoms" like him Cry sad... but anyway, I hope that all of you are right! Dangit Ray!!!! Tongue

Oh well...hopefully he will grow out of it and give me big hugs again Smile/happy I miss that!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Ginny wrote:
* When I get home he's happy to see me at the front door, but when I come in he shakes his head no and runs away. he VERY rarely lets me hold him or hug him Lucy does this to me and my husband. My cat used to do it to me too. lol. I interpret it as .. yay!! I am SOooo glad to see you....how dare you leave me like that. Actually Lucy has just started doing it when she yells for someone to come take her out of the crib. She will be happy to see you coming, but then will scoot away out of reach awhile. Sometimes I have to pretend I am leaving again for her to come to me.

* He's started doing this thing with his hands when he's excited or upset that you took something away from him and starts shaking his hands Lucy has done this since she was about 4 months old. She will lay on her back and just fling her hands and feet as fast as possible for a few minutes. Mostly when she is excited.*

he used to say "truck" jsut fine but for several months he just grunts! he will say "Big Car" but then "Big Knnnn" or something weird like that :S Lucy doesn't talk that well yet, but sometimes the sounds she makes sound very slurred, I have been wondering if it is part of teeth coming in, they have to learn to make the sounds slightly differently?

When my son was 5 (very delayed) he could say Truck very well.. And then suddenly he started saying F instead of Tr very clearly. I was really embarrassed and kinda angry, because he loved my bright red truck and would talk about mama's truck with everybody. The speech therapist laughed at me and told me not to worry about it because it was a normal phase of speech development. Maybe what Thane is doing is also some step in development?

Lucy will also throw her head back like you described.

I think they do the best to scare the heck out of people who are a little older with all these risk factor statistics they throw at you, sometimes you start to feel your baby is doomed from the start!

Oh well...hopefully he will grow out of it and give me big hugs again Smile/happy I miss that!
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18395
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:22 am

Awe thankyou so much for the post DM!!!!!!!! I reallly appreciate you going thru it all like that Smile/happy I know that you all are right. But you know how it is, when everything is just fine and then someone makes a comment that sends you into a freakout session!!! Wink I know what you mean about being afraid they are doomed from the start. I know its horrible, but before Thane's first birthday I couldn't even make plans or anything til he was like 11 months cuz i was scared something would jinx it and soemthing would happen. :S I NEVER used to be that way...so i dunno what has changed. I feel better now that he's older, but man, that first year all I could think of was horrible things...of course bad stuff was happening to babies around my small town also, so that didn't help.

But anyway, i wanted to thank you for posting and alleviating my anxiety! Smile/happy THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 am

Ginny- I have a great website for ya.

Here's the address. It's Jenny McCarthy's website. Maybe you won't feel the same way about the vaccines as she does, BUT, they do have a a great questionnaire titled, "Is it autism."?

Here's the site.
http://www.generationrescue.org/survey/?s=2

Just wanted to let you know. My step-son full on rocks himself to sleep every night STILL at the age of 6 by shaking his head back and forth so fast it looks like he's turning his brain into a milk shake. He also hums very loudly while he shakes his head. He is very smart, loving, conversational, and definitely not autistic.

My other cousin who is 4 now, used to bang her head into the headboard of her crib to fall asleep, so not kidding. It would drive my aunt and uncle nuts, but she finally just grew out of it. She is also not autistic.

Kids just go through things, stages. I had a little cousin, Seth, who I'm not kidding talked like the teacher on the Peanut Gang (Charlie Brown) until my little cousin was 2 1/2. I.E. " Wah Wah, Wah Wah." You know what I mean Smile/happy Seth is totally fine now, not autistic.

Thane is saying tons of words and I've seen videos of him, he just doesn't look or act autistic to me. Don't worry honey!!

Kids just do random things. They go through stages. They get lazy with their words. Babies are funny creatures. I know it's strange to see kids rocking, but I'd be more worried if Thane did it randomly through out the day when he wasn't trying to fall asleep, ya know?

You are a great mommy. You love and worry about your son. I think every parent worries about their kids being healthy and happy. You are not alone Smile/happy
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20880

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 am

I agree with PL,great ideas and reassurance,but also I have an exmaple of the speech thing,truck in particular,if you havnt seen this it's hilarious!DM,if you havnt seen it,you will probably laugh Smile/happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37zdiVPIFU
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Ginny - I can relate as well. Owen bangs his head and rocks back and forth while going to sleep too. He also seems to not want to be held as much but I think it's just because their little brains are so busy they can't stop long enough for a hug!!!! Owen is always ready to the next thing..... I think what you are seeing is probably very normal for a little boy his age. I think it could even effect his speech - he's just too busy and trying to get the words out as quickly as possible!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20271

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh yeah Angel - it was just like that video! I forgot him saying Fire Truck too. We didn't try to encourage him to go around saying truck like they did in the video lol.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18395
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  LeanneWhitney Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:35 pm

hey lil late reply but my nephew has autism and he didnt rock him self back n forth or bang his head on stuff unless he was having a tantrum what most kids do anyway when they are frustrated i never know a kid not to do these things and i been around alot of kids lol
LeanneWhitney
LeanneWhitney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 281
Loyalty Rating : 18100
Registration date : 2009-02-01

http://www.youravon.com/leannewhitney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Audrey throws herself to the floors as hard as she can when she's upset and she actually doesn't see where she lands because sometimes she really hurts herself. She's also been slapping herself in the face lately, whenever she's upset....don't know if this is normal...

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Yeah it is normal.Teo used to do it,actually I say it's 'normal' but he hasn't done it since we went on our 'good' diet eliminating all aditives.Since then I really havn't seen many tantrums at all.He still get frustrated but it's easy to reason with him now,I think it's the diet and the fact that he is getting odlder and more able to understand and communicate.If I give him food that he reacts to though,the tantrums,low tollerance for frustration,throwing things and screaming comes back in an instant. Anyway,who knows eh?
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Yeah, she's not upset too often, only when she's teething she's the worst. She's been doing much better lately, but at playgroup it's all a different story, but I do know toddlers do have a short attention span and get upset very easily, so I know she's okay or I'm sure the nurse would of said something. She pretty much told us it doesn't bother anyone when she throws a tantrum because it's a learning process.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  LeanneWhitney Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:33 pm

abit embarrassing but my mum reminides me constantly how i use be self distrustful when i was younger i suffered a lot with ear infections because both my ear drums dislodged but i would hit self scratch self toss my self on the floor but again i seen a lot of kids do this out of frustration

Angel- i notice a huge different in teo now he a little sweety regardless but he is defo less frustrated Kiss
LeanneWhitney
LeanneWhitney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 281
Loyalty Rating : 18100
Registration date : 2009-02-01

http://www.youravon.com/leannewhitney

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks Leanne,always good to have people who knew him before reinforce that!
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:48 am

Jayden does it sometimes when she gets angry. I think they get pent up frustration. They can't tell you, hey mom when you took that from me you pissed me off, now knock off will ya!! They quickly learn that they can't hit you, so they hit themselves or throw themselves onto the floor to get it out. Jayden would actually sometimes bite herself(funny to watch, and hard to keep a straight face too). But, now she just runs screaming to her room and throws herself down onto her sofa to watch Barney(hell, sounds like a freaking teenage girl!!)
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down