Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
What do you guys think of this?! EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
What do you guys think of this?! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

What do you guys think of this?! Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

What do you guys think of this?!

+5
Gutter
mscherry42
BethG
sparkles
Lou Lou
9 posters

Go down

What do you guys think of this?! Empty What do you guys think of this?!

Post  Lou Lou Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20271
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

What do you guys think of this?! Empty Re: What do you guys think of this?!

Post  Lou Lou Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Personally, I don't like it. I don't believe that having our children spend even more time in school is the solution.
Our country is deteriorating because we've lost the core relationship - FAMILY.

If this does happen I will most likely home school Owen.

I'm not trying to start an argument - I justed wanted to see what everyone's thoughts on the subject are.

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:20 pm

I too think that is stupid, it also puts more pressure on parents to work more hours and have no family time, i believe children these days dont spend enough time with thier family as it is. Also children learn through play, so having play at home and at granmas etc also teaches them alot, children also need to know how to function in society not just in a regimented routine everyday. i am all for children becoming smarter and having better education, however i do beleive it comes down tot he teachers and how they teach. i still have teachers that left a HUGE impression on my life byt he way they taught me things. Maybe longer school hours would suit families that unfortuantly do not get a "normalor safe" home life, but it disadvantages the families that actually spend time with their children and teach them things themselves. if that was going to happen here i would also home school
just my opinion
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1294
Loyalty Rating : 19581
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 pm

I didn't take time to click on the link, but I think I know what it's all about.

I actually have been thinking of this lately and have a few thoughts about why it's not a good thing.

Longer school days: I have a feeling there are studies about how many hours a child can be in school and then once that period of time is exceeded, it's basically wasted time because child is overloaded. I want to ask my best friend, a kindergarten teache, what she thinks of this to see if I'm right.

Ummm, the economy anyone? Some cities, some communities, are SHORTENING the school week to save on fuel for the school buses. Lengthening the school week would cost more in fuel. And hey, don't we need to pay the staff and teachers more for working a longer week? Where is this money coming from? I constantly hear in the local news about how the school systems are having a hard time coming up with budget.

I'm not an advocate of home-schooling although I understand why parents may choose it (my mother was a teacher, my brother and best friend are teachers so I'm a bit biasd in that sense). But I do agree that here in the US that our public schools and students need to do a better job. I think the parents could help a great deal with that though. My best friend says she can tell the students whose parents work with them and the ones who just get plunked down in front of a TV set. We're talking kindergarten though.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1776
Loyalty Rating : 22686
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am

i agree, bein g a preschool teacher and director of a child care centre, you can DEFINATLY tell the ones who get help/attention from parents
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1294
Loyalty Rating : 19581
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 am

I don't agree with lengthening the school days by some hours, but I do agree with adding some extra days in there throughout the year(minus Saturdays, that's just dumb) More and more, the parents just aren't there enough to help their kids in school, whether because of jobs, other kids, or just lack of knowledge. So, if they somehow were able to add like 2 weeks more into the school year by shortening a couple breaks here and there, then I would be all for it. But, Jadah is very smart, and also very talented in gymnastics. Lengthening the day would definitely affect that and our time as a family. If they passed it though, I wouldn't be irate, because it wouldn't be the worse idea someone's had for our kids.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:59 am

Well this doesn't apply to me seeing as I'm a Canadian, but I would think of it as a good idea for my lifestyle. That's because I work full time though and I leave for work at 7am and get home after 5pm. I think school gets out around 2pm here and that will mean that I'll have to put my kids in daycare in the morning and afterschool. Also I'll have to have my kids in daycare during the summer Cry Anyways that's my thought on the matter.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 am

I guess with anything there are pros and cons - and those can differ from person to person. I was wondering how they are going to pay those teachers the extra salary as well and it makes me wonder if fewer people will become teachers because of the extended hours. I mean, if they are in the class room during those hours they have to take their lesson plans home and work on them after working an 8 hour day. I'm learning first hand right now how much prep time goes into planning for just a few hours of class - can you imagine the work load that must go into preparing for a class with 30 students?

Also - what about extracurricular activities likes sports, music and dance lessons or church activities? How are children (and parents) going to fit it all in?

I just think that education is often about the QUALITY and not the QUANTITY. More hours in the classroom may make our kids smarter - but at what cost?

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:40 am

That a good point, Lou Lou, about the extra ciricular stuff. I had thought about that too.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1776
Loyalty Rating : 22686
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't like it. I am sorry some people are unable to keep their kids off the streets and out of trouble, but I don't need the nanny state telling me how they are going to take care of my kids. Maybe it does take a village ut the village should be there as your backup and support, not dictating to you how you are going to lead your life.

We have a modified school year already. The kids get 2 months in the summer, then two weeks at every quarter break. It is good, because it is so hot here in the summer kids just sit inside and vegitate anyways.

I think Obama needs to get his nose out of education, that is a state's right, not a federal thing. I bet it is just another shiny distraction so we won't notice what he is really trying to slip by us with the healthcare or something.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18395
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Dolly's Momma, I completely agree with you. It is nobody's business to take my precious time away from my children.
(sarcasm)Yes lets put our children's days and lives, and well being into the hands of our government and school system and put the system of the family second.

NOT!!!!

I understand that there are families who have two working parents who don't have the option to be home with their children right after school. Perhaps they should give the OPTION of extended school hours/tutoring for those children. They shouldn't force it onto everyone, no flipping way. My kids will be homeschooled so fast. Unless of course they make home schooling illegal so they can cram whatever they feel like and as many hours a day as the GOVERNMENT wants down my kids throats.
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20880

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Princess_Longbottom wrote:I understand that there are families who have two working parents who don't have the option to be home with their children right after school. Perhaps they should give the OPTION of extended school hours/tutoring for those children. They shouldn't force it onto everyone, no flipping way. My kids will be homeschooled so fast. Unless of course they make home schooling illegal so they can cram whatever they feel like and as many hours a day as the GOVERNMENT wants down my kids throats.

That's a good idea for those parents to have an option for after school programs...

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:20 pm

You know, Tiff, I had wondered if they may try to make home school illegal or it they will make it very difficult to home school, ie, lots of paperwork, certifications for parents to teach........

I am really considering home schooling now. I don't want my child taken away from me at the tender age of 5.

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Did you guys know that Kindergarten is actually optional? There is no law that says your child has to attend kindergarten.

We'll see how it all pans out. If it comes to the fact that our freedoms are so limited that we don't even have the right as parents to choose home schooling for our children, then I'm guessing there will be a lot of civil unrest by that point anyway, and I have no intention of obeying any law that forces me to leave my child in school all day long and into the evening hours. I'm sure there will be other parents who will share my views.

I'm in charge of my kids futures and decisions, NOT the people who call themselves my government.

Man this article got me riled up. I'm glad you posted it. It is very thought provoking.

It makes me so mad when it states that Obama says he wants to extend school hours simply because "Everywhere else in the world" has longer school hours. I mean seriously why can't kids just be kids and get to play??? In Hungary children don't start school until they are SEVEN.
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20880

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Very interesting article, Lou Lou.

Well, where to start.... I am definitely against the government dictating and deciding how long kids need to stay in class every day. That is just wrong to me on so many levels...

Anyways, longer school days - I don't think it's a good idea. If they really want to compete with students from other countries, they need to focus on improving the education system. Simply keeping kids longer in school everyday does not necessarily improve their education. Quality vs. quantity....

I also think that it will be too expensive to keep kids in school for more hours - paying the teachers, electricity, ...

But, for people that do work two, three jobs, full-time etc. or parents who are not very involved in their childrens' education there needs to be an optional after-school program of some sorts where kids can stay so that they don't just lurk around but instead are safe and taken care of.

But definitely not in favor of just prolonging the hours of a school day.
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21079
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaBear Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

I also taught in a daycare/preschool and was with some kids from 7 am to 6 pm. I fed them their breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. Those kids took on more of my behavior and personalities than their parents. It really made me realize what an impact I did have especially with the younger kids. I could get their kids to eat the dinner from the night before when their parents couldn't but I spent more waking hours with their kids. So I think the big question is more what are they learning in that time frame and who from.

I can partially understand a full school year. In the past kids had a summer break for planting season. We aren't farmers and we don't have our children's help in the field in the same way but I think kids need breaks. Kids deserve to be kids. It is bad enough that they have to grow up as fast as they already do knowing the things they do. And I cannot imagine how longer hours would help unless there was a different structure in the school day. I know when I was in high school I was lucky if I had 15 minutes to eat my lunch before my next class.

Well now I am just rambling. I think we do need education reform in the US but I think it is very difficult not to get wrapped up in pushing kids too fast and too hard. I have seen both sides and there has to be a middle ground.
MommaBear
MommaBear
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 304
Loyalty Rating : 17998
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:32 am

Princess_Longbottom wrote:Did you guys know that Kindergarten is actually optional? There is no law that says your child has to attend kindergarten.

Same here, Grade 1 is the first grade they need to attend. I'm so crazy because Audrey will start junior kinder when she's 3 going on 4 in November 2011.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am

My friend's daughter goes to a year round school in San Diego, where her summer break is shorter, but some of her normally short breaks, are longer. And they love it. At first, I thought she was crazy, but she said that her daughter didnt' have to regroup after the summer break like most kids. Even Jadah, who loves school, was not ready to go back, and had to readjust to being in school again after 12 weeks of summer vacation. Looking at good money making jobs today, a lot of people come over on work visas, and land outstanding jobs. Now, I don't care that they are not "American", if they're qualified then they deserve it. But, what if our kids grew up really excelling more than they do? They would be more viable for those jobs. I remember growing up in school, where school was more work than play, but it worked. I also remember my younger siblings growing up in school, and remember lots of changes being implemented, and by the time Jadah was in school, it almost like bad juju to actually make the kids sit and learn structurally in a classroom setting. It was all about learn through fun. And I hated it. I had a hard time finding a preschool that I felt would actually "teach" my child, and not leave it up to her to realize relate the fun activities with actual hidden lessons. I think the education system needs some changes(how they do raises, tenure, quality of teachers). Now, I do NOT think that adding hours to a school day will help the kids, but less time off could certainly help. I also feel that as parents, we have a responsibility to our childrens to establish discipline, and nurture their education, but I feel that when it comes to "book" stuff, my girls should be getting their bulk learning from high quality educators who actually care about the students(I that many don't).

I look at Jayden, who turns 2 tomorrow, and I look back at Jadah. Two very smart girls in their own unique way. Jadah, due to circumstances, had to start structured daycare at like 4 months because I was still in college. She is very advanced for her age, both educationally and mentally. Jayden started in home daycares at the ripe old age of 6 weeks. She received great quality care from a wonderful woman who really cared about her. And Jayden has constantly been in in-home daycares(more like babystters) ever since because of me and DF's crazy work schedules. And I will say, although she is very intelligent and social, her basic learning is behind because those in-home babysitters just didn't have the time and resources to put into "teaching" her. We do what we can on our days off(she's resisitant to us though), but I see the need for structured daycare for her. Luckily, we found one that will take her at 5am, and she started this morning. I know she will do well, I can see her potential. I just wish she could have started sooner.

I know this is crazy lengthy, but I guess my point to all this is, great quality education is essential. I do not think that the average our education is great. Yeah, some schools are awesome, and some just plain suck, but overall it's just average. If the government/educational system/ whoever can figure out a good plan to give our children a better education without lengthening the school day by more than 1 hour a day and definitely no school on Saturdays, then I am all for it. I also think there should be more kindergartens offered as full days one. And I'm done. I know that I'm in the minority on this one. But, I do not think my close family as it stands today would suffer if the kids were in school a bit more.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree totally that the quality of education needs to improve. Our school district has 5 schools in it that they call traditional academies. We put both of our older children in it after we were having disasterous problems at our regular school. They are soo different. It is very structured, and stresses fundamentals. As far a schools go it is awesome. All the teachers have their masters, and they really are dedicated to the kids.

Not to bash on teachers, I know there are alot of good ones, but there are also some who are not. Before we changed my daughter's first grade teacher was preoccupied with her boob job she had gotten over the summer, and was dressing to display those puppies and stuff -- way more than she cared about what the kids were doing. And my son's kindergarten teacher, when given tactics to try to get him over a traumatic start to the school year just documented everything that went wrong and berated him and bashed him non-stop. I did not know that last part til later. If I had known it at the time her ass would have been fired -- after I kicked it a few times.

That's great mscherry that your girls are excelling in that environment. I am all for people having that choice for their kids. And you choose carefully and are aware of what is happening, alot of parents just don't have that commitment.

I know my older kids have lots of issues and baggage, but daycare after school was just not an option for them. We took them to good ones, but they just were not up to the level of challenge my two can present. For them, being home after school (after I quit my business) was a huge leap forward for them developmentally.

My problem is a man who took 6 months to decide exactly what kind of puppy would be best for his familiy is making these sweeping statements on generalities - and just ''boom'' we need to change this. I think there is plenty of space for improving the quality of education without extending the quantity.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree totally that the quality of education needs to improve. Our school district has 5 schools in it that they call traditional academies. We put both of our older children in it after we were having disasterous problems at our regular school. They are soo different. It is very structured, and stresses fundamentals. As far a schools go it is awesome. All the teachers have their masters, and they really are dedicated to the kids.

Not to bash on teachers, I know there are alot of good ones, but there are also some who are not. Before we changed my daughter's first grade teacher was preoccupied with her boob job she had gotten over the summer, and was dressing to display those puppies and stuff -- way more than she cared about what the kids were doing. And my son's kindergarten teacher, when given tactics to try to get him over a traumatic start to the school year just documented everything that went wrong and berated him and bashed him non-stop. I did not know that last part til later. If I had known it at the time her ass would have been fired -- after I kicked it a few times.

That's great mscherry that your girls are excelling in that environment. I am all for people having that choice for their kids. And you choose carefully and are aware of what is happening, alot of parents just don't have that commitment.

I know my older kids have lots of issues and baggage, but daycare after school was just not an option for them. We took them to good ones, but they just were not up to the level of challenge my two can present. For them, being home after school (after I quit my business) was a huge leap forward for them developmentally.

My problem is a man who took 6 months to decide exactly what kind of puppy would be best for his familiy is making these sweeping statements on generalities - and just ''boom'' we need to change this. I think there is plenty of space for improving the quality of education without extending the quantity.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum