Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!

4 posters

Go down

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! Empty arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!

Post  Helen Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

I am sick to death of Ryans bedtime EVERY bloody night for the past week !!!!! :cry: :cry: Every night he goes to bed between half 7 and 8 !!!
Every time he gets out and continues to do so for an hour !!!! :angry:
We shout at him, take things away from, tell him hes not doing this that and the other after school the next and none of it bloody works !!!! He eventually stays in bed and falls asleep once I have scared the crap out of him by screaming at him!! Which obviously is stupid because it shouldn't be resolved by be ranting at him !!!
He knows damn well at bedtimes there is to be NO messing about, NO keep coming out of his room for the hell of it and so on, but he continues to act up at bedtimes !!! Hes in a normal routine where he has a bath, drink, story and bed so I can't see what else we can bloody well do !!!
I try ignoring him but that just winds him up even more and he gets worse!!!!
I hate going up to him becasue he just screams at me, hits and kicks, which obviuosly there is no way on this earth I am going to stand for, but everytime its the same.
I end up in tears because I am so bloody stressed at bedtimes, which is not good for me at the mo, Jon tells me to stop getting so stressed but I can't help it, I am so fed up with his behavour at bedtimes, I swear next door both sides think I am evil screaming at him, I just want him to understand at bedtimes he goes straight to sleep with NO messing about, but he doesn't care, he doesn't listen. :cry: :cry:
I don't even know why he has started acting up like this, he never used to, he would be asleep in minutes at bedtime and that would be it til the morning !!!
I just don't know what to do lol !!!
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Number of posts : 1789
Loyalty Rating : 17713
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! Empty Re: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!

Post  Lily*Blossom Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 pm

May I suggest moving his bedtime routine and bedtime up by half an hour? It may be that he is over tired, and needs to go down just a bit earlier, so he doesn't become grumpy.

Here is what my favorite sleep book suggests:

Slow down activity

Close physical contact
Gentle massage or mild stretching
Cuddle up with the child in a chair
Nestle or snuggle in bed
Quiet voices
Imagine a fun event
Tell a story, talk about your family
Read a book
Sing or hum a song
Chat about the day
Say goodnight to everyone and everything in the room
Play a favorite tape, maybe grandparents singing or saying goodnight, sounds of nature

Comfortable Room
Photos of family and pets
Favorite Stuffed animals or dolls
Night Light or flashlight
Dream catcher or guardian angel for protection

Four year olds might be helped to sleep better if you try the following:
Make a schedule and post it in his room: Time for bath, time for sleep routine, lights off. (Regularity helps but the times might include a range because not all days are the same).
Try to engage or enlist cooperation by doing something together such as singing, reading out loud, or doing artwork.

Here is an example of how to gradually reduce reinforcement using not a cold turkey strategy, but a fade strategy. Sometimes it works better if the father takes over, since child might be more likely to act up for mum Smile/happy

1) Father reads story to child in bed for 15 minutes. 2) Father reads newspaper in child's bedroom until child falls asleep; 3) child is placed back in bed with minimal interaction; and 4) father gradually withdrawals from bedroom before child is asleep.

Another example: (1) parents alternate, but respond to child; (2) parent gives no drinks but provides holding and comforting until crying stops; (3) parent only sits by the bedside until child is asleep; (4) parent provides less physical contact at bedtime.

At every stage of reduction of parental attention, expect the problem to get worse before improvement begins. That's because the child will put forth extra effort to cling to the old style.

Hope this helps you hun Smile/happy

Last edited by Princess_Longbottom on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20925
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!! Empty Re: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!

Post  dolly's momma Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Maybe your should take a step back and let Jon deal with getting him back into bed for a few days until you can get your frustration level lowered.

We have some very difficult times with our older children who are adopted. I know rationally at some level it is due to developmental delays based on the things they went thru in the past, but dang I get so frustrated. I find myself sounding like a broken record of someone I don't like very much. At that point my husband steps in and takes over from a totally new calm approach for a few days. And sometimes he reached the explosion level and I step in and take over for him.

Thank god we can tag team them because I don't think either one of us could face it alone!
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18440
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Thats fab hun, thank you, Jon does take over when I become stressed, but I think we need to work out a different plan of action, theres fab ideas there you have given so will be taking these into consideration !!! I know its just Ryan being his age, its just hard when hes never done it before !!!
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Helen! Just wondering if anything is improving for you at Ryan's bedtime???
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20925
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:07 am

It seems to be, he doesn't get out as many times lol !!!
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Tonight he went to bed and got out TWICE !!!!!!!!!!

He was asleep before 8 !!! :lol: Smile/happy :lol: Smile/happy :lol: Smile/happy
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 pm

All of the above and I will tell you what they do on supernanny when kids keep getting out of bed!

First time you take him by the hand and say "time for bed darling" NOTHING else no eye contact. and lead him back to bed.

Second time you do the same excepy say "Bedtime Darling"

Third time and beyond,No speaking,just lead him back to bed,worked great with my little man when he went through this phase.Also with the extra half hour bedtime and strict :Bath,bed,story,sleep routine. Just my opnion ,I got it off supernanny and its the only part of my day where he's an angel! lol
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21367
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Oh good!Seems like u got it sorted!
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21367
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:00 pm

I think that is the best routine any child can have !!!
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum