Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Parenting Books? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Parenting Books? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Parenting Books? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Parenting Books? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Parenting Books? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Parenting Books? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Parenting Books? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Parenting Books? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Parenting Books? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Parenting Books? Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Parenting Books?

2 posters

Go down

Parenting Books? Empty Parenting Books?

Post  Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm curious if anyone here uses any parenting books? I have a good friend who is pregnant and due in January (just found out it's a boy - yay!). She's always talking about books. She wants a book about breastfeeding, sleeping, etc. I LOVE reading and I've read LOADS of parenting books, but I'm not a real "by the book" kind of person so I never latched on to any certain theory about any aspect of parenting - I ended up just doing whatever worked for my daughter and I. I have a feeling she's going to be that kind of person though, that she wants something to base everything on, if that makes sense? So, since I've read lots of books but never felt particularly attached to them, I'm not sure what to recommend for her. Actually, I'm wanting to buy a couple for her, but like I said, I have no idea which ones! I don't completely agree with aligning a child with a book and trying to mold them in a certain way (although I know in some cases it CAN help), but my friend seems to be set on wanting to really lay down a schedule and have rules and such about what they will or will not do with their infant (like feeding on demand and such) and I'm totally willing to buy her something (to give at her shower) she actually wants and will use, versus something like a baby blanket (which she'll get millions of), you know? Of course, she'll probably end up dropping the whole book thing after she has the baby just like I did (its her first) lol. But still, I want to help her in any way I can and right now this seems to be what she's after. So can anyone point me in the right direction? She already has the "What To Expect..." series. I'm not sure what else she has though, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Back to top Go down

Parenting Books? Empty Re: Parenting Books?

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm

hey Ry, i just wanted to say thats really sweet of you to be thinking of what she wants instead of just buying her something she will probably get millions of anyways lol! im sorry to say i cant really help though, i never got any books except the what to expect books. i am like you, i pretty much do what works for us and dont really run by the book. anyways, i wanted to comment to say i read the thread and all even though i cant help cause i know how much i hate it when i post a new thread and it gets a million views and no replies!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18838
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 am

This is the book that was recommended to me. My husband and I both read it. We didn't follow it to the letter, but it did help us in general establish Lucy's night time plan. If only we could do the same for the days.....sigh

On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Night Time Sleep by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam.
Amazon listing

Parenting Books? 2135213TZBL._SL500_AA180_

There is a whole series of different age groups, but I haven't read any of the others yet.

I was pretty unknowledgeable about infant care too, and have been finding this book very helpful in giving me half a clue.....

The Babytalk Insider's Guide to Your Baby's First Year by Babytalk Magazine
Amazon listing

Parenting Books? 5182j7gFEeL._SL500_AA240_
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18440
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm

lol thanks Nika Smile/happy

Thanks dolly's momma. I actually read the Baby Wise book, but put it away, as it was a bit different than what I planned to do w/my daughter. For example, we fed on demand and that book strongly discourages that (IMO). I might think about getting it for my friend though, as I DID agree on some of the points made (not that that really matters anyway, seeing as how its for HER) and it did have some good first time parenting info in it Smile/happy

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Yeah, we used the three hours as more of a guideline too, but went by her hunger, which was pretty close to the same time table anyways.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18440
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down