Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Who is breastfeeding? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Who is breastfeeding? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Who is breastfeeding? Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Who is breastfeeding?

+10
D4A
Helen
24Penguins
Tonglen guy
Mum of jj
sparkles
skyllar
Lou Lou
Angel
Ginny
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who is breastfeeding? Empty Who is breastfeeding?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:06 pm

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Who is breastfeeding? Empty Re: Who is breastfeeding?

Post  Ginny Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:02 pm

hey Ry!!!

I also breastfeed, but of course you know that! :lol: Thane will be 9 months old on Saturday the 18th!! Its still going great for us (even though he hates his bottle and is up all night nursing!) I don't care...I wouldn't have it any other way! I love spending time with him at night since I have been back to work so long (May 9th).

But, anyway, just wanted to say hi! *waves*

XXXX
Ginny
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20134
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:31 pm

I am breast feeding,it's been a bit rough on a couple of occasions but she's 3 months yesterday and we havn't had to use formula for about 2 months!
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21343
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:08 pm

I am breastfeeding but Owen also takes one bottle of formula in the evening.
He actually really enjoys the bottle and has no problems with switching back and forth. It's great because I can leave him with DH if I need to or feed him in public places if I need to without the hassle of finding a place to nurse.

I will probably introduce another bottle feeding in the next few weeks as I plan on weaning him from the breast after the first of the year (when he is 7 months).

It has been a good experience for us both and I'm so glad I've been able to do it!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20292

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi everybody,

I haven't talked to you Rylee and Ginny much on the other site cause we were in different age groups (although I did like to read the thread that you were in..)

Kian is almost 6 months and he is exclusively breastfed. He had a couple of meals of formula when he was first born and had to stay in the hospital until my milk came and brought expressed milk to the hospital.

At this point, Kian would love to nurse a couple of to several times a night and therefore he slept with me frequently. I am trying to get him to sleep in his bed and not to nurse that often at night. We had him CIO last night :cry: and will attempt it again tonight.

I also went back to work when Kian was 4 months old and he takes a bottle of BM from DH just fine.

I am looking forward to talking to you all. Smile/happy
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21100
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Removed post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Hey Nicki!!!
Yes, I remember you and of course, little Kian!!! lol Congrats to you as well for breastfeeding Kian! That's wonderful! If Thane took a bottle better, I would be happier, but I just have a boobie baby, what can i say! LOL I hate pumping, so thank goodness he latched on well at birth (only now he won't UN-latch!! HAHA!). I pump so much during the day (about 20 oz) and he only eats 8 oz while i am gone...but I love the diet I am on of Snickers and Turtle Cheesecake, so I don't want to give up nursing for that perk for sure! :lol!:

TTYL - Great to hear from everyone!
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20134

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Removed post.

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 pm

lol i love your diet Ginny lol
I am also still breast feeding and have a huge milk supply so i last week i started weaning and i will do it slowly so maybe my christmas Kyrah will be weaned onto formula ( 7 1/2 months) She ios also on some solids. Last week was hell just dropping one feed i was in agony!!!! luckily she took the bottle and formula with ease.
This week so far i feel great so i have dropped another feed, so i am still breast feeding 3-4 times a day and 1-2 bottles a day. i am personally very proud of my sucsess with breast feeding as it was hell at the beginning , i paid a private lactation consultant to coe out and everything and Kyrah had jaundice in hospital as she wasnt feeding properly, i had mastitis etc etc. i have to use nipple shields due to my nipple not extending far enough, BUT we have still done it and it became second nature and i love it!!! i was going to star weaning her of at 4 months so she was off by six months but i just wasnt ready. Now i feel ready and am excited for the next step, i may keep the morning and night feeds for a while though!!
i ahve also noticed i can eat what i want and i have gone back to my old size, stomach is just as flat etc some people think im even skinner( i really didnt care thogh lol i havent tried to lose weight atall). i am really happy overall with breast feeding

also does nayone elses children have teeth how has it affected your feeding, Kyrah has three and so far hasnt bit me once
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1294
Loyalty Rating : 19602
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:18 pm

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm

oh wow how scary!!
Does she eat cheese or yogurt now? or does she not have any dairy what so ever?

yes i agree it will be hard to wean kyrah completly as morning and night are very special to me too, i am just going to play it by ear!!! i do think some sadness will come liike wheni said i was going to last month, i just freaked out and felt sad as i wasnt ready
now i am but will see if i am ready to completly wean lol
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:57 pm

gosh, that would have been awful, so she must be lactose intolerant ...maybe???

They say 6 months for dairy here!! Kyrah actually had a little bit of baby yogurt yesterday ( i know she is not 6 months yet) but she started solids early and she liked it and so far everything is fine.

Lucky you can keep breast feeding anyway, your her savior lol
well done xo
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Mum of jj Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 am

Hey ladies.
First of all, congrats who have succedding in breastfeeding their babies!!!

Im another mummy who is breastfeeding although we are not exclusive! I got sick when he was 3 months old and he had to go on formula for a few days which really hurt my supply to the point he could only have one feed a day, so ive done everything i possible can to build my supply and now we only have 1 bottle a day and the rest are breast, so give me another 2 weeks max and we should be exclusive again, its really hard building the supply back up from basically ziltch but we are getting there.
Kieran had silent reflux also in those first couple of months so feeding time was a battle, and now he feeds fine but throws big tantys if he has to suck hard for it, he expects it to flow like a bottle does, so its just getting him back to that routine of sucking but other than that we are doing fantastic!
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Number of posts : 622
Loyalty Rating : 17634

Back to top Go down

Who is breastfeeding? Empty Remember the Golden Rule

Post  Tonglen guy Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am

Well, not golden, but practical.

The rule is this:

DO WHAT WORKS.

My wife tried and failed at breastfeeding twice and spent the ensuing years blaming herself for being a failure. Everywhere she looked it seemed she saw nursing mothers and society's embrace of the idea - which is a good and healthy thing. But because she felt responsible for the failure, and because it tied into so many other issues that put her into a deep depression, she would react by condemning herself. Seriously bad juju.

The idea is - go for it and if breastfeeding is not going well, try and stick it out. But if the time comes when it just isn't happening (no matter what the reason), then simply Do What Works. It can be simple if you allow it to be simple. Focus on the baby's needs and if that means switching to formula, then do it without apology and without a sense of guilt.

This is such a psychologically loaded issue. Keep the baby's best interests always in mind and try and resist the urge to view the issue as one of "success" or "failure" but rather as something a little less value laden. Success is when the mother and baby thrive - when whatever method that works best has been found and accepted. Frustration is when the tools to make that happen are tricky. Failure can be when a mother starts blaming herself for something that just happens, or tries so hard to force an issue so feeding time becomes high stress time. And even that is a dangerous "definition". Maybe "failure" is a word that just doesn't belong in the conversation in the first place.

Lots of words here I guess, but the idea is that breast feeding is a wonderful and healthy thing. But at the end of the day, it won't be an option for many mothers. That's where Do What Works takes on real meaning. If this is happening to you, give yourself a break. You're a great mom and you will find a way to do what works.

TG
Tonglen guy
Tonglen guy

Number of posts : 20
Loyalty Rating : 17070
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:31 am

TG - thank you for a male perspective! You are so right! We women DO put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be a wonder woman type of mother/wife/daughter/sister/friend and we sometimes lose sight of what's most important!

At the end of the day we just have to do what works best for our individual situations!

My husband has never put pressure on me to breastfeed or have dinner on the table or for the house to be clean. (Although, I'm sure he would be thrilled if it happened every day!) So, from the very beginning, the only pressure I've felt about breastfeeding has come from myself! It took me several weeks to not beat myself up about giving him a bottle of formula every day but the truth of the matter is that the one bottle of formula I give him is probably the reason why I'm still breastfeeding! It took the pressure off of me a little and gave me some flexibility and now nursing is a joy and not a burden!

Keep posting TG! I have always enjoyed reading your posts!

Lou Lou

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20292

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 am

TG what you said was so sweet, and really touched me. i tried very hard to BF kaydance when she was born, and it just wouldnt work. both of us had problems, and i wont go into details, but after 7 days of pure hell and no sleep for me or her, i gave her formula. my mom and my sister exclusively breastfed all their children. in the very beginning i did feel like i had failed somehow, like how come my whole family can do this, and i cant? but deep down, i cannot tell you how much of a relief it was to give her the bottle of formula. i mean, i could sleep for stretches at a time, she was eating and gaining weight again, i mean, it just felt right! i pretty much decided that i would have loved to be able to BF her, but that the bottle was the way for us! and since that moment, life has been great!

BTW, i still do envy you ladies who are still breastfeeding!!! you are doing wonderfully for your children lol
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18814

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:56 am

Removed post.

Last edited by RYlee MAck on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 am

i understand what you mean Ry, i mean i felt bad i couldnt BF just because i know the antibodies would have been really heathy for us, but it had gotten to a point that neither of us could make it work, and kaydance was loosing to much weight, even with the help of a lactation cosultant! so the formula really was the best route for us (as i couldnt even get enough milk pumping to bottle feed that way either!!) and i think kaydance has been thriving beter on the formula. but i do still wish that i could have been able to do it. i cant decide what we will do with #2. i mean, the trying to BF was a bit traumatic for both me and kaydance for the one week, so i think i may try again with number two, but i might be a bit quicker to go to formula if it doesnt work. ive kinda gotten over the feeling bad for not being able to do it now.

but i still have a lot of respect for you BFing mommies!!! well done to all of you, i know it can be a real struggle!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome to this thread and the compliments on still BFing.

I had a very difficult time in the beginning to even start BFing. Kian was in the hospital for one week after his birth and he was fed a bottle there (once my milk came in after 1 day, expressed BM). Once he came home, he only wanted a bottle and it was a struggle for two - three days to get him to nurse at all. Every little suckle was a win for us. Finally after very difficult week or so in the beginning, he loves to nurse now and will take a bottle (not his favorite) when I am at work. I am so proud of my little guy that we worked it out...
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21100

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 pm

thats awesome skyllar!!! i can say im proud of you for sticking through it!! i often think if i could have made it work if i tried harder, but its all said and done now lol! but you have some strength for sticking it out till the end!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  sparkles Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 am

I agree TG
i also beat myself up at the beginning and felt like a bad mum when i had to give her the occasional bottle of formula due to bf problems, i had no pressure from hubby or family or friends, it was just me and the pressure from society, it is the only thing that stressed me out about having a bub . however now i am very proud of myself and so is my hubby etc and now that i am starting to wean, i dont feel that pressure anymore as i am satisfied in myslef, I knew that there was NOTHING wrong with formula etc but i would still get upset as i thought i wasnt providing the best o could for my baby, so yes i agree mums put a lot of pressureon themselves, i agree breast is best but if you cant do it there is nothing wrong with formula and it does not make you a better parent etc as long as your child is fed and loved xo
sparkles
sparkles
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:18 am

I am not at the moment, but I do plan to breastfeed this lil one when he/she arrives !!!

I breastfed ryan for a lil bit but he was such a lazy feeder my supply suffered so had to switch to bottle :(
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Number of posts : 1789
Loyalty Rating : 17689

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum