Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Please Help! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Please Help! EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Please Help! EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Please Help! EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Please Help! EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Please Help! EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Please Help! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Please Help! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Please Help! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Please Help! Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Please Help!

5 posters

Go down

What Should I Do?

Please Help! Vote_lcap18%Please Help! Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Please Help! Vote_lcap64%Please Help! Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]
Please Help! Vote_lcap18%Please Help! Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

Please Help! Empty Please Help!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Ok here's the situation:

My little sister (age 13) just texted me and said that our mom just slapped her in the face. They've been having problems lately. My mom has a very short temper and quite frankly, is just mean. Background tidbit: my brother and I were removed from my mothers home and went into the custody of my dad when I was 8/9ish, as she wasn't taking care of us properly. She has been doing fine w/little sister (half sister) as far as I can tell, except w/the occasional problems. I called little sister and got her side of the story and I know mom could hear what little sister was saying to me. I asked little sister to put mom on the phone and I could hear mom cursing and saying she wasn't talking to anyone right now and to leave her alone. After a few of little sisters attempts to get mom on the phone, I told her to stop as I could hear mom getting angrier and angrier. I told DH what happened. He first said stay out of it. Then he said maybe go get her for a couple days so things will settle down. My dad's advice (who is not her dad, hence the half-sister) was to call little sister's aunt (moms SIL) as she cares for little sister alot and is the closest relative, to see if she could think of anything to do about the situation.

I can understand mom yelling about what happened (little sister had cell phone, mom needed it, little sister took long time to give it to her, mom got angry and slapped her), but not hitting her. I think any kind of slapping/hitting is abuse and I will not sit here w/that knowledge and just let it keep happening. Yes, she's my sister, not my daughter and I am not technically responsible for her but I'm not going to just NOT do anything. Please participate in the poll Smile/happy

Back to top Go down

Please Help! Empty Re: Please Help!

Post  Toffee Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:04 pm

I'd call the SIL, and maybe consider your sister coming to live with you if a solution cannot be found.

Was the argument about anything serious? Not that it matters, I agree, violence is wrong!
Toffee
Toffee
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1071
Loyalty Rating : 17980
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 pm

i also think this is wrong, and i voted for you to get her for the weekend, more becuase i think it could help your little sister out more than her aunt getting her if she doesnt get to see you as often, it could be like a little vacation that might help her destress alot. i didnt vote for you to get her permanently because i dont know enough about the situation, but if it gets worse thats what i would personally do. does your mother have a track record of being abusive, or just neglectful? do you think your sister would have a better life with your or your mom, like emotional as well as physically? also, have you run this by DH at all, or are you waiting a bit before you talk to him about haveing her for more than a weekend, i mean like has that been yalls backup plan all along, or is this something new you just thought of. i ask because even though it will probably never happen, i have already told DF that if anything ever happened to my sister, we would pretty much be adopting her two little boys lol!

wow, i wish the best for you and your sister!!! i hope everything works out well, and please keep us posted!!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18793

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:23 pm

I've talked to DH about all of this before. Little sister living w/mom is really not a good thing but her dad is not in the picture so it's been her only option for awhile. Mom has been abusive to me in the past, when I was very young (6/7?) I haven't heard of her being like this w/little sister before, but it doesn't surprise me. And she is quite neglectful anyway. I talked to big brother about the situation and he says the last couple times he's seen mom, she's seemed "out there" and didn't even really know what day it was. She's been working 70hrs week (single mom, gotta do what you gotta do) and she's been on drugs in the past so he thinks her working that many hours, shes gotta be taking something to "keep her going". Now I'm just a wreck thinking about all of this. They live 40 min. away from us.

I called little sister, she's at a friends house now and says she will stay the night there tonight and maybe again tomorrow night. I dont think she understands that mom can just go get her anytime she pleases. If shes with me, at least I know where she is (i dont know these "friends" she talks about) and I can keep her f/mom if need be, as her sister. Some random person in town cant really do that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 pm

I dont think we have the financial means to support her as far as food, activities, clothes, etc... but we will if it means she'll be safe and if thats the only way. DH doesn't feel too great about that, just at a financial standpoint, but I totally get that.

I dont know anything about getting her enrolled into school up here (its fall break, so safe for the rest of the week anyway). I dont think she wants to change schools and be away from her friends, but she said herself she doesnt want to live there anymore, she cant take it anymore. Not sure she understands if she moves here, its for good and theres no going back and forth and she'll have to start new school w/new people. I think this school would be great for her but I dont know how to go about setting things up and I'd like to do that only as a last resort if possible.

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:32 pm

wow, well i guess for now what i would do was make sure she stays at the friends tonight and then yall can get a fresh perspective on things in the morning, and decide where to go from there. i would make sure she knows to call you though if your mom goes to get her so you can intervene if needed.

im so sorry your going through this, i know it has to be so hard for you. your sister is lucky to have you!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 pm

If it were my sister and I was close enough to her, I'd have her come and live with me.

For example, my mom is an alcoholic and was verbally abusive to me and has even threatened me with a knife, that's where I would of liked to move in with a relative of some sort. After she threatened me with a knife, I went to my room, but she wouldn't leave me alone, she asked me for her house key, I wouldn't give it to her, so she tore apart my room looking for it. I threw it at her and ran out the house, screaming at how my mom was a psycho. Then my mom's friend came to try and talk me into going back inside to talk to my mom. Of course I didn't agree, but wanted to go back inside to call my aunt and see if I could spend some time there. It took my mom a lot of convincing, even her friend telling her to let me. I started walking and hyperventilating until my uncle met up with me half way with his truck. So anyways I wasn't going to go back to my moms, was going to go on social assistance on my own and get my own place, but my mom talked me into coming home when she said she'd quit drinking. WELL....low and behold, she started drinking heavily again about a month later, but I only had to deal with it for 8 months and then I was off to college. My mom was never like that with my sister, but if she was, I would of immediately had her come and live with us, even if we couldn't afford it. No wonder I have no more hair, I just didn't need that kind of sh!t growing up :( I would of loved having an older sibling to go to, or having a relative want to keep me, espcially when I was much younger and had some problems with my mom.

Hope you figure something out soon!

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:22 pm

gutter thats heartbreaking, i had no idea! im sorry that happened to you, thats awful! im glad your sister is doing better with your mom than you did. wow.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  ANMSMITH Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I think let things settle for the weekend and when it is a little calmer approach her with maybe a diffrent living situation or even letting her stay with you for weekends and see how it goes from there. sounds like maybe mom should see a Dr. about her temper but I know how it goes when people don't think they have a problem! Good luck sweety you are a great sister!
ANMSMITH
ANMSMITH
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 224
Loyalty Rating : 17480
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 am

24Penguins wrote:gutter thats heartbreaking, i had no idea! im sorry that happened to you, thats awful! im glad your sister is doing better with your mom than you did. wow.

Nika,
Thanks for caring hun! I'm not proud of my past and of course I don't drink because of it. I have the urge to have a drink lately, because alcoholism runs in my family, but I just shrug it off. My mom drank because she was depressed and hated everyone. She always put her needs first over me and my sister. I have to honestly say that my mom has been much better since I moved out. She has gotten herself a great paying job and have never been that way with my sister, except for guilt tripping her, which is horrible, but at least it's not like what I had to deal with. My sister came and lived with us this summer to look for a job after she graduated from college and my mom was sooo jealous, she stopped calling here, so there you go....you can now understand how horrible my mom is. Soo...my sister went home for a few weeks and put out a few resumes, but planned on coming back to live with us and well...she found herself a job near our hometown, so now my sister lives 45 minutes away from my mom and boy do I feel bad. Oh well..like I said she gets along better with her then I do. My mom and I we do good when visiting and calling each other, but we could never ever live under the same roof every again.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 am

wow, well im glad your relationship is a little bit better with your mom now at least. thats something. and im glad you and your sister have a good relationship as well. i remember when you said she was staying with yall and you were really hoping she was going to come back, but then she got her job and you were dissapointed lol.

and good for you for staying away from alcohol, my mom was also an alchoholic, but she luckly quit drinking for good when i was 4 years old and has never had another drop. my sister (the one thats pregnant now) struggled with alcohol for quit some time too, but shes clean as well. i never really got into it lol, im sure it helped that i was 4 1/2 months pregnant on my 21st birthday LOL!!!!

24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:11 am

Ok so I went to get little sister last night. She's staying w/me for a couple nights. When I got there to pick her up, the aunt was there (I had called her to go sit w/little sister until I got there) and mom was still there also, happy as could be. Like she just flipped a switch or something. Confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:29 am

Glad to hear that she'll be staying with you!

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:19 am

Ry, glad to hear your sister is safe with you, i think that was probably the best thing!!!

and weird about your mom! i hope she gets some help.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  kellybean Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am

Are you going to talk to your mother about her anger problems?
Sounds like she needs some intervention that will be more long-term...say counceling?
kellybean
kellybean
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 173
Loyalty Rating : 17032
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down