Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods....

+3
MommaBear
mscherry42
Lily*Blossom
7 posters

Go down

Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... Empty Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods....

Post  Lily*Blossom Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 pm

LM finally has 8 teeth. Well... her top teeth are about halfway out Smile/happy She still will not accept table foods very well. If she is standing up and we are eating on the couch or something, she will accept small bites of what we have on our plates. But if I sit her down in her high chair to eat with us at the table, she will gag and spit her table foods out, or throw it onto the floor. She won't eat it unless it comes right off our plates. She will take it off our plates and feed herself just fine. I don't get it.

But that is just little bites of what we are eating. She won't actually eat a serving of the food and fill herself up. She still wants to eat her stage 3 baby foods. I don't know what to do. She does like to eat pieces of fruit cocktail in light syrup, or cut up bananas, but I can't just cut up what we are eating for dinner and have her eat it, she will not.

She is 15 months old now, I would think she would want to eat big girl foods by now. But she just gags and gags.

Is anyone else going through this, or has anyone else gone through this???

Suggestions???
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20880
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... Empty Re: Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods....

Post  mscherry42 Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Tiff,
Do you think you could psyche her out by mushing up your food just enough and putting it in a jar to make her think she's eating stage 3? I know it sounds crazy, but I remember the stage 3 spaghetti n meatballs looking almost like ours, and like the mac n cheese and stuff. Does she eat those without gagging. Kind of off topic, but to help get me to my point. Jayden hated water. If she saw you pouring water in her cup, she'd cry, even if you mixed it with juice. If she saw it, she didn't give the taste a try. But, if I mixed water and lemon juice together without her seeing it, she'd drink it up no problems. Finally, the point, it could just be her preference of what SHE wants. It sounds like she CAN eat your food cause she'll eat it off your plate, but prefers the easiness and convenience of less chewing with her stage 3 foods. I hope you guys get through it. Our babies with their quirks.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19428
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods.... Empty Re: Having a hard time getting her to eat table foods....

Post  MommaBear Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm

I don't know what to tell you. We started with Isaac eating off of our plates at the couch too and then I felt like I was feeding a dog so we had to move to the highchair. I feed him first at 5:00 and then dh and I eat when he gets home at 7:00. Isaac usually wants to eat again but with his dairy and soy sensitivity I usually would only go for cheerios. Now that we seem to be over the dairy and soy issues he get a little taste of our food unless it is spicy or fried. I never bought the stage three foods because the few I did buy just smelled and tasted gross to me (but we were limited because of soy and dairy). I splurged for Baeba Baby Food maker and would make him food that way. I think I just slowly switched him to table food a little at a time. First his snacks then main meals. What he liked we went with...grapes quartered...blueberries. Now he eats three dino nuggets (cut up) and peas and carrots anything that doesn't move really. Our fight is to get him to let us feed him with a spoon. He wants to eat everything with his fingers.

Have you tried making it a game...give her some dippy things...hummus...avocado...yogurt and then let her dip something in it. It is messy but it might get her to think of it as more of a game with her own food.
MommaBear
MommaBear
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 304
Loyalty Rating : 17998
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 am

I also never really had much a transition problem with Audrey, she always ate what we ate for dinner in her highchair from around a year old. We never fed her off our plates unless we have already ate dinner, breakfast, or lunch and are having a snack in the living room or something, we would share with her. I know her babysitter feeds her off her plate sometimes too, but it hasn't bothered our routine. Some days Audrey will throw her food around (she only does this when she's not herself) other times she eats everything and other times she likes it when I put her food up and feed it to her.

I have read that if you take too long to switch over to regular food, you end up having issues, so I made sure I switched her over early and just cut everything up really small. She still gagged on food for months and months and months, but as long as you cut them really small, she'll eventually get used to eating it properly. Audrey has JUST started using her teething to bite into harder food. She normally swallowed pretty much everything.

Good luck hun, it's just another transition...

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Tiff
I started Owen on things that were mixed together like spaghetti with sauce, chicken mixed with sauce and pasta or rice or I would mix the chicken in the mashed potatoes..... my goal was to make it have the consistency of the baby food.
Then I started offering him JUST chicken or JUST mashed potatoes. That seemed to help us. Owen only has 6 teeth so I have to really make things easy for him to chew.
Does she like the Gerber Graduates? Owen LOVES those and they have been great transition foods for us.

Let us know how it's going!

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20271

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 pm

She is doing a little bit better. I still have to sit by her and encourage her to eat. It helps if I put a variety of foods on her tray. She LOVES watermelon... I wish there were some nutritional value in it. I haven't been giving her any baby food at lunchtime. She gets finger foods for lunch and her afternoon snack. She is drinking more water, which is good. She still eats like a champ if we feed her from our plates.... but I really want her to eat her own food and self feed better than she is.

I tried her on Gerber graduates.... she gags and gags on the baby food, but she likes the finger food gerber graduates. She'll get there eventually Smile/happy

P.S. do crickets count as finger foods?? She totally put a live one in her mouth yesterday that she found in the kitchen and I started screaming and was too freaked out to fish it out. My DH went to get it out, and all he managed was a couple of legs, and she swallowed the body!!! EW!!!!! I am NOT looking forward to changing a poopy diaper and seeing a partly digested cricket in her poo!!!
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20880

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Princess_Longbottom wrote:P.S. do crickets count as finger foods?? She totally put a live one in her mouth yesterday that she found in the kitchen and I started screaming and was too freaked out to fish it out. My DH went to get it out, and all he managed was a couple of legs, and she swallowed the body!!! EW!!!!! I am NOT looking forward to changing a poopy diaper and seeing a partly digested cricket in her poo!!!

make sure to dip them in chocolate for her next time Smile/happy She's soooo cute and adventurous!!! Just keep at it hun, she'll get better with chewing, maybe show her how to chew, that's what we did with Audrey. We just keep saying 'chew chew' and we'd open our mouths to show her how.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20089
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginny Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Tiff i went thru this forever with thane and i still have to worry with some things cuz still gag him!!! But, fortunately it seems to mostly be a phase...he still is not a big eater. She may just not like change too much Wink She is very healthy and isn't falling off the weight charts so I think you should worry about that. And its ok if she still eats baby food. My little sis kept thane last friday and when i asked what he had for lunch she said "Apples and Chickens (stage 2 baby food!) shock I was like "uh katie..he's been on big people food for awhile!" lol but he just NOW has stopped throwing his food! I know you don't want to hear that either...he has done thats for almost a year! but its getting much better Smile/happy

Good luck and just keep trying! I try new foods with Thane all the time some he likes some he spits out like "Come on!!!" Wink
Ginny
Ginny
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1076
Loyalty Rating : 20113

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:20 pm

mscherry42 wrote:Tiff,
Do you think you could psyche her out by mushing up your food just enough and putting it in a jar to make her think she's eating stage 3? I know it sounds crazy, but I remember the stage 3 spaghetti n meatballs looking almost like ours, and like the mac n cheese and stuff. Does she eat those without gagging. Kind of off topic, but to help get me to my point. Jayden hated water. If she saw you pouring water in her cup, she'd cry, even if you mixed it with juice. If she saw it, she didn't give the taste a try. But, if I mixed water and lemon juice together without her seeing it, she'd drink it up no problems. Finally, the point, it could just be her preference of what SHE wants. It sounds like she CAN eat your food cause she'll eat it off your plate, but prefers the easiness and convenience of less chewing with her stage 3 foods. I hope you guys get through it. Our babies with their quirks.

great idea!my mum never gave me jar foods,said it was nasty n full of chemicals lol.every meal for me was what she had cooked for her n my dad,blended (you could just make it the same consistency as her stage 3 foods!,plop it in a jar n do that!for now it really doesnt matter as long as shes eating,she might b a grazer,prefferinbg to have 4-6 snack times a day rather than 3 meals.A lot of banies are like that from what I read,as long as shes gainging weigfht ,I really wouldint worry.

FYI the gag refliex is TOTALLY normal.I know it's not nice to watch,specially me the emetophbe,but it's totaly different from choking (Weh food enters the actual airways) the gag reflex in fact is a good thing that prevents choking,although perhaps LM has an over sensitive one? IDK! Either way,I wouldnt worry just keep offering them,one day she will catch on,she HAS only just got her big teeth and it's probably still hurting and causing her to churn the food around her mouth with her toungue and accidently push it too far back causing her to gag because she cant' yet bare to use her teeth as they'e still sore.But,I would give her until they are all out (as long as she's still gaingin weght) and then if she's still doing it,ask the pediatrician if it's ok and it they're anyting that you can do!

I am sure she's fine hunny! love you x
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21322
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down