Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece

+3
skyllar
mscherry42
Lily*Blossom
7 posters

Go down

Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece Empty Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece

Post  Lily*Blossom Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:14 pm

My best friends niece was just diagnosed with Leukemia. She is two years old. Her name is Sophie. She is the most beautiful little thing ever:
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece N727330023_2842456_4118
Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece N727330023_4666384_1385

I am very close with my friend's older sister, who is the mother of Sophie. We grew up together. Apparently for the last 6-8 weeks Sophie has been very off sorts, not well, tantruming, etc. Sophie has a new baby brother who was born at the end of May. They thought it might be sibling rivalry or something. They were all due to fly to Poland (they are Polish-American) and the day they left, Sophie's mother took her to the doctor and had some blood work done. They left to Poland and Sophie became more and more ill. The results came back that she had Leukemia. They had to leave Poland right away even with their Grandfather (Sophie's great-grandfather) dying of old age, in order to get Sophie back for treatments. They had to give little Sophie a blood transfusion before they left Poland because they were afraid she would not survive the flight.

This is heartbreaking news. I am going to speak to my best friend about starting a group for Sophie in order to find a bone marrow match, as she will need a transplant.

This is all I know for right now, I haven't heard any updated news.

I don't write this to depress you, but because I wanted prayers and positive energy to go out to little Sophie and her family.

xxxxxxxxx
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20868
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece Empty Re: Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece

Post  mscherry42 Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Oh,Tiff,I am so sorry for your friend's niece. I have a question. If a person wanted to try and donate their marrow, could they specify that it go to Sophie? I will pray for them. She is a gorgeous little girl. I pray that positive things happen in their lives.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19416
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece Empty Re: Please Pray for my Best Friends Niece

Post  Lily*Blossom Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Thank you MsCherry.

An exact match for bone marrow would have to be found for Sophie before it could be donated. I'll know more details about Sophie's blood type and marrow type later. But yes, if there was a donor that was a match, then they could donate to Sophie.

There is a national registration for bone marrow, but there aren't as many participants as there could be for sure.
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Back to top Go down

Post  skyllar Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Oh Tiff, I am so sorry for your friend's niece. What a cutie she is!! I am definitely sending prayers and positive thoughts Sophie's way, her familiy's way and your way, too. Hopefully they can find a matching donor for her. Please keep us posted and rest assured that little Sophie is in our prayers.
skyllar
skyllar
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1593
Loyalty Rating : 21067
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Toffee Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 am

I'm so sorry for your friends. I will keep her in my thoughts!

A family friend had leukemia when she was around that age, she had it twice in fact and she's perfectly healthy now.

I hope they find a suitable match soon x
Toffee
Toffee
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1071
Loyalty Rating : 17968
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:52 am

I went and looked up the initial process, and it looks like you don't have to have the same blood type to be able to donate, however, you have to get your bone marrow tested for a match. If you choose not to donate through the bone marrow database(I can't remember their name), then you must get test privately, which costs around $150-$300. I guess my next question would be, could you get tested through their association, then once you know your bone marrow type(for lack of a better explanation), then you could go further if you matched the little girl. I read about the actual procedural for donating your marrow, and I must admit, it gave me some chills. They have you lie on your stomach, knock you out, and make small 1/4 incisions on the back of your pelvic bones. They say some people say the pain is worse than expected, and some say less, so I guess it's up to your pain threshold. I am nervous now, but just give us some more info on their progress and plans, Tiff, and I'll be building up some nerves on my end to try and donate through the large database organization.

Oh,
I just looked somewhere else, and got more indepth info. Actually, they don't take your marrow unless you are found to be a match. To determine a match, they swab the inside of your cheek. The only problem with that is I don't think you get your results back for her doctor to see and determine if you can donate, but I'm still checking on that too.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sapphire Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am

Oh my goodness, Tiff, I can't even believe this. How awful for Sophie and her family ... they will be in my prayers for sure, as will you and everyone who loves Sophie. Do keep us posted and we'll be eagerly waiting to hear the good news about her healing over the next little while!!!
sapphire
sapphire
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 260
Loyalty Rating : 17941
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Lou Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:02 pm

Wow.

Tiff - I WILL keep her my prayers. How absolutely terrifying. I can not imagine what your friend's sister is going through and poor Sophie. I hate to hear of any child suffering. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Please keep us posted.

Lou Lou
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1345
Loyalty Rating : 20259

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanx everyone. I still haven't heard back from my best friend. I called her yesterday, but I don't know how Sophie is faring so far. I know they were so concerned for her that they weren't sure she would survive the flight from Poland if she didn't get a blood transfusion. Apparently, Leukemia can kill in a matter of weeks if left untreated.

I appreciate your prayers and research.

I'm sure they will start with family members first as far as a bone marrow match, and I plan to get tested to see if I could be a match.

xxxxxx
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Back to top Go down

Post  mscherry42 Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:15 pm

Tiff,
Let me know how you end up doing the bone marrow matching test, privately, or with the blood marrow database people, or some other way. I'll be praying for little Sophie.
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanx MsCherry. I appreciate and believe in the power of prayer. xxxx
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Back to top Go down

Post  galaxy Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 am

OH Tiff! I have only just read this and feel heartbroken for this poor little girl and her family! I wish I could do something to help! Will be praying hard for this little one! Life is so not fair!!!
galaxy
galaxy
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 768
Loyalty Rating : 19689
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/12fd6f

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down