Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Kids with disabilities/disorders EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Kids with disabilities/disorders Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Kids with disabilities/disorders

+2
Mum of jj
Angel
6 posters

Go down

Kids with disabilities/disorders Empty Kids with disabilities/disorders

Post  Angel Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 am

Anyone have kids with ADHD/ADD?I think my son had ADHD,westill have to do tests but I am pretty certain that he has it.
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2197
Loyalty Rating : 21367
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://parentise.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Kids with disabilities/disorders Empty Re: Kids with disabilities/disorders

Post  Mum of jj Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:14 am

Awww hunny, You must really have your hands full, I hope it is not ADHD for both you and your boys sake.
one of my friends, her 6 year old has ADHD, he is one full on little boy and behind a lot in his social and learning skills as well as speech, he is a lovely little boy tho and people often treat him different as they think he is naughty from lack of discipline etc but its not that at all, he just needs someone who will give him the time of day, he needs constant stimulation and someone who can keep him busy, when he is bored thats when he will start to play up, his mum doest believe in putting him on the meds so she has changed his whole diet around to be organic and fresh and has noticed a diffrence. she also has put up lots of posters and stulating toys in the bedroom, we know that things like that shouldnt be in the room but with him if he doesnt have the stimulation even at bed time he will just get up and cause mayhem, so she puts a night light on which rotates and has pics glow through the lamp onto the walls and roof and things like that, it seems to work, there is no wind down time for her.

May i ask what makes you think he may have it? dont give up until you get answers mums always know best and no one knows your son better than you hun.
keep us posted on how you get on.
xxxxxx
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Number of posts : 622
Loyalty Rating : 17658
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am

Sure you can ask.Firslt,I noticed a difference in his energy levels and his behavious compared to other kids last year (aged 3) when he was at daycare.The teacher would tell me (pretty much everyday) that although he wasn't a naught kid,he was very distracted and when they had story time and had to sit in a circle,he would just get up and wander away.Way more often then the other kids.I didn't register little things like that all the time.He has always been very "challengin" as a child.My grandmother in law infered last year also that he was hyper active and needed medication.I was outraged and offended,sure he was difficult but I thought he just being a 2 yr old/3 year old/4 year old.

Then last week,I was sitting in the recliner and watching him,he kept running (hes ALWAYS running) and jumping on my new sofas HARD (you could hear the wood inside crack).I kept telling him to not do it,I use the 1,2,3 method for discipline,which basically involves 2 warnings and a time out.I put him in time out 3 times in an hour for the same thing (running in the kitchen and jumping onto the sofas (he hurt himself falling off in the end) Each time I disciplined him,or put him in time out,he would be very upset and cry.This is a pattern that goes on.I was thinking to myself 'he must LIKE to be punished,he's not stupid yet he keeps doing what he KNOWs is wrong in this house' I have tried getting down on his level,explaining calmly,shouting,spankingtime out.NONE of these have worked.It was then that it hit me...

'Perhaps he cant HELP it!!!" :shock: I had never thought of it before.Perhaps when I ask him to sit still and he keeps getting up,he's not bing bad,he is just unable to sit still.Then more thoughts came and things started to slot into place,hes very intelligent,very helpful and loving yet when asked to do something he often seems to not be able to do it.He gets angry and upset with me being angry and upset.Anyway,I was thinking,what could this be?The only thing I could think that matches this was hyperactivity,or ADHD.So I went on sevral sites,reserched it for a few hours,did some of the online tests (which are not an official diagnosys) but they're the same tests that the evaluation people use in order TO diagnose people.The results all pointed to "It is highly probably that you have ADHD please see a doctor in order to confirm diagnosis".

Here are some of the things that ring true with ADHD (I will mark the ones that my son HAS with a star)

Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention*

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities. *

Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities. *

Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly. *

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions). *

Often has trouble organizing activities. *

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools). *

Is often easily distracted. *

Is often forgetful in daily activities. *

Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity *

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat. *

Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected. *

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless). *

Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly. *

Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor". *

Often talks excessively. *

Impulsivity*

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished. *

Often has trouble waiting one's turn. *

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games). *

Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).*

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified:

ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  petal4 Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Angel,

I think its time you took him to see a doctor, you are doing eactly the same as what I did when I thought Ethan was autistic.

I read up on lots from the internet and spoke to people who have first hand experience with it and they told me it was very possible he had autism. This of course had me worrying and then I begun to look for signs or symptoms that weren't really there. (I'm not saying that you have done that though).
I took Ethan to see the doctor and she said he is just displaying typical behaviours of an 11 month old. Yes, the arm flapping, hand biting, rocking etc are all signs of autism but also quite natural behaviours in most babies. She told me to bring him back if he was still carrying out certain behaviours when he was 18 months. As it happens, he stopped most of them 1-2 weeks ago!

My friend has a daughter who sounds just like your DS. She was evaluated and the initial concerns were that she may have A.D.H.D. After lots of monitoring it was decided she doesn't have A.D.H.D, just LOTS of energy and part of the problem with having so much energy was that her impulses were high and she couldn't really help herself. She's still like it now.
So your DS could have A.D.H.D but he could also be just a normal little boy with lots of energy.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Hayley x
petal4
petal4

Number of posts : 36
Loyalty Rating : 17181

Back to top Go down

Post  Mum of jj Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Either way I hope you get an answer soon sweet, its the not knowing which is the hardest.
When do you think you will get tests done??
Are you ok?
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:00 pm

i remember you talking about this before, and i hope you can get some answers soon! it has to be driving you nuts not knowing, cause i know then you are wondering if you should be punishing him or trying different techniques!

just curious, if you do get him diagnosed, are you going to put him on meds, or try other alternatives? i suppose a doctor would be able to give you the best advice to make that decision though.

good luck!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18838

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Well,I'm not so worried,if it is then it is.I' pretty sure,It malkes so much sense now.It's already a relief.I dont intend to put him on any drugs unless he gets to school age and absoluely cant fucntion.I will look into more natural rememdies and things.My friends is going to lend me a book,a holistic approach to adhd.We'll see how that changes him!
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm

aww, good luck! i hope you make some progress without drugs. IMO there are way to many kids on drugs for ADD and ADHD. i understand if they need it, but most of the time it seems like people are looking for an easy way out, so its nice to see a mom looking for a better approach first!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18838

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:39 am

Good luck hun, it must be hard Cry
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!
Rocket Fingers!!

Number of posts : 1789
Loyalty Rating : 17713
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mum of jj Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 pm

That great your not going to put him on meds first up, i think half the time it only masks the problem, if people can find a more natural approach to handle things i thinks its better for the child in the long term. also i know a mate of mine was on rittlin (sp?) from the age of 4 as he had adhd, and he is my age and is so dependednt on it, he doesnt have signs of adhd anymore but its like he goes into a state an addict goes into when he hasnt had any, so good on you girl!! sending you my love xxx
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Hey, I just wanted to offer my experiences if anyone ever needs to use them lol. Feel free to pm if you don't want to have a public discussion.

We have been thru the wringer with our two adopted kids. They had a trauma background, and were both struggling from post traumatic stress among other things -- which can present itself very much like adhd but doesn't respond to it's treatments. We have dealt with the schools demanding we do things and also getting all sorts of help, from priority preschool to ieps and aides. I don't profess to know alot, but I do know some important bits and pieces to keep in mind when convincing the schools they want to do things for your child lol.

We are in consultation with the doctor who is actually the head of psychiatry at the Phoenix Children's Hospital. Over the years I have learned to trust his knowledge. I fought and fought medications for the kids, and then fought some of his drug choices but in the end, when we finally were ready to throw in the towel and accept his recommendations, we found out they worked! It can be like night and day for a child's personality. Makes me shake my head at myself when I look back at how hard I fought the soultions to my problems. None of us want to make the kids dependent on drugs, but if it gives them a chance to succeed and build up their self confidence and self regulation we at least owe it to them to consider the possibility. I have seen my son in particular go from spiraling completely out of control and not knowing why he does things to being a wonderul student capable of helping other kids having problems.

I don't advocate this route for all, obviously our kids are the exception to the rule. But his prevailing philosophy on drugs is that sometimes you have to turn to medication to allow the child to get control of themselves to the point where they are capable of working on the underlying issues.

I have also heard there are alot of dietary factors that can contribute to the severity of adhd ......
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 566
Loyalty Rating : 18440
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:36 pm

thank you DM,

I have a little update;I have been paying special attention to his diet recently,no bad foods.It seems to have made a slight difference to not have him drink capri suns,I knew they werent great anyway but thought (back then) whats the harm?Now I see what it does to him so no more capri suns.I am basically trying a process of elimination seeing if cutting one thing or adding one thing for a few days ata atime make the difference.

His behaviour also gets 10 times worse when the 3 yr old that i take care of most days comes over.I can hold him n get down on his level to tell hiim to stop,even raising mt voice n he just carries ion looking past me n laughing like a psycho.

we'll see
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:07 am

Oh yeah, check those juices and drinks really close. If they have high fructose corn syrup in them I won't buy it.

You know, I was reading back thru this topic. It could just be he is slightly developmentally delayed and will grow out of most of it. The part where you were talking about how he is worse when the three year old is there made me think it is possible that part of it may be something he will outgrow with time. As kids grow they learn to self regulate themselves. They get excited, then calm theirselves down, then begin the cycle again. If a kid is a little delayed in some areas what will happen is they will get excited, and instead calming themselves down and cycling thru that they just keep getting more and more excited and worked up until something explodes. One of the keys that started me thinking like that is where it occurred to you that he is not trying to do it.....

My son had this to a very extreme degree. It was just a combination of time and a wonderful dedicated aide in school and our working with him constantly that helped him learn how to start regulating himself when he gets excited. Now he does a very good job of it most of the time, unless something out of the ordinary happens like a fire drill or company comes to visit....but I think he holds a record for getting 3 day suspensions from preschool lol.

Watch him closely for awhile. As he starts to ramp himself up does he have little mannerims that occur, like my son will start acting like the tags in the back of his shirt itch really bad, then he will sometimes move on to twitching his shoulders. If you start seeing some type of pattern as he gets worked up you will have something to work from. Using my example, the instant you see him start scratching the back of his neck you need to talk to him and try to redirect him another direction. Another thing to try is instead of a time out do a time in. Have him sit on your lap or hold his hand or something until he calms down. Don't be surprised if in his agitated state it makes him angry, he really needs you to help him get control of himself. He will most likely get madder before he gets calmer, and as he gets older he will tell you he is not worked up in a highly agitated manner lol. Once he has calmed down and can answer your questions calmly let him return to his game or whatever he was doing. If you let him go too soon before he is truly calmed down again he will most likely ramp right back up.....

Hope this helps
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:41 am

Thank you DM,I will watch for signs,I have the little girl today so we'll see how hereacts.Also,I used to try holding him to calm him down instead of time out,The child psychiatrist told me this.The first time we tried it he screamed n peed on me shock He became so distressed from me holding him that he never calmed down after over 0 mins,It was awful for us all.We never tried the restraining thing again.

Do you mean by holding him,just having him sit with me n not talk?Are there rules for time in?Should I tallk to him?

Thanks for the advise,we'll see how it goes.
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:08 pm

I think talking to them might help. It really is a struggle, the aide at school would just hold my sons hand or wrist. The man was a saint, cause to start out with he often got kicked and bit and yelled at, and he just ignored it all and never lost his patience.

We actually do this with both our kids. (hold their hands). When they are in that hyper-aroused state it is no fun for anyone. They certainly do not appreciate what you are doing, and often get angrier at the onset before they reach that point where they calm down. But over time they have learned to recognize themselves when they are getting too excited and calm themselves down (well most of the time). Either that or that part of their brains is finally catching up, I don't know but I will take it. Like I said, my kids were to an extreme, so don't get too stressed by what we went thru.

I can't tell you how many times we would be in a store and have to hold my daughters hand. She would respond by yelling loudly about how mean we were, and by the time we got checked out and in the car she would be actually growling. No fun for anyone. As soon as she calmed down she would apologize. My husband did try the holding her on his lap thing. She too would scream and fight forever, before she finally calmed down (I think because she was exhausted). We never seemed to get any benefit from that either, and it was very traumatic for all of us. What I mean is more of a time in. You b eing in control and allowing them to relax and regain their own control. Let me look for a couple links for you later after I feed Lucy and get my shower lol.
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for your help DM,you are so kind!
Angel
Angel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly's momma Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Still searching for that link I wanted to share.

I am pretty sure this is a federal program.... The schools have something called ''priority preschool'' which is supposed to help kids transition into kindergarten that may need a little extra help in that area... i.e. running around the room during circle time, etc. The school will test your child, and if they see the need they will put him in this preschool. It is free, but only two days a week. Still if it helps him get ready for kindergarten....you might as well use your tax dollars, cause someone else will if you don't.

I cannot remember who you call at the school district. I think you could call your local school's counselor and they could probably give you the contact information for the right person to get in touch with. Daycare is great, but usually unless it negatively impacts the rest of the class they tend to ignore alot of these type of behaviors that will not be accepted in the regular school. It may be a way to get a start on some of those behaviors, and the school psychologist will go thru all the test results with you, it may point you towards what is going on...
dolly's momma
dolly's momma
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down