Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Hospital Birth EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Hospital Birth EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Hospital Birth EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Hospital Birth EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Hospital Birth EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Hospital Birth EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Hospital Birth EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Hospital Birth EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Hospital Birth EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Hospital Birth Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Hospital Birth

3 posters

Go down

Hospital Birth Empty Hospital Birth

Post  Mum of jj Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 am

Birth Story of

KIERAN MICHAEL JOHN REA
MAY 19th 2008 at 6am
7lb 5oz, 54com long

BEWARE - THIS IS LONG!!!!!

from about 36 weeks pregnant i started getting excited about the idea of becoming a mum again and although i said to myself after trying to bring labor on with jesse and succeding at exactly 39 weeks, i was going to enjoy my next pregnancy and let nature take its course and let labor happen when it happens, EASIER SAID THAN DONE! I am the most impatient person i kow and i just wanted to hold this baby in my arms today not tomorrow!
I started taking evening primrose oil to help ripen the cervix and decided i would start trying to bring labor on at 37 weeks. I went walking, used epo sex you name it i done it!
as the weekend came closer it was like de je vu with jesse. my cousin who is my support person told me on friday that i could not go into labor on saturday as she had her daughters 13th bday. with jesse she told me on the friday that i couldnt have him as she had a sports tem breakup on the sat night.
so what happens?? i woke late fri night with strong irregular braxton hickx not just with jesse but with this one too!
saturday i was fine and still doing my walking etc. on sunday i got up and had brekky etc and sarted getting BH again, i sadi to hubby, that we should get jesse settled with dvds and jump into bed for a quicky..as with jesse i was in labor within minutes so thought it was worth a try.
so i went through the routine i did with jess, had a hot bath for 30mins and jumped in bed and hubby gave me his swimmers. got up and had more bh, this time they become regular but were 6 -8 mins apart and strong but wernt getting any stronger or longer, i kept moving in the hope that they kept going which they did. i was getting frustrated after a couple of hours and nothing was happening and decided that i was going to the supermarket to get some castor oil, i promised myself i wouldnt as i took it with jess but i was ready to meet my baby and would give anything a go.
So i went and got some and went to my cousins house at 6.30pm sunday and took 4 tablespoons mixed in a glass of cola and drank it fast! she was the only person who i told i was taking it, hubby still doesnt know!
my cousin was just about to have tea and said she would come round after tea and we will go for a walk. the BH were dying down a bit so i kept active. she came round at 7.30 and we went for a long walk. the bh were still coming and getting reg again but not any stronger or longer. we came home and were timing them, at 10pm mum rang and asked if anything was happening and we said no but were going to give it til midnight and if it was still the same were gonna call it a night, so she decided to come around. so here we are, me pacing the living room trying to get bh stronger, mum and my cousin on the floor writing down each contraction and each time i went to the loo (had runs from about 8pm due to castor oil) and hubby on the couch watching tv.
they were getting a bit stronger so at midnight we made the call to go see midwife and get checked out at least we would know what was going on. so we had her pulled out of bed and met her at the hospital where she checked me over and put the machine on me to see what the BH were doing, she gave me an internal and said i was 1cm which is normal after having a birth anyway and i was 50% effaced, she sadi the BH were strong and at this stage it could go eitha way, by this time the bh had really died down. she said i was not in labor and wouldnt even call it early labor, i had got my hopes up high now they were down low! she made the call to send me to grey hospital which is just over an hour away, just incase anything did happen and then they could monitor me. none of us were keen on the idea as it was a long way to travel and knew we would be coming back in the morning with no baby, i was really annoyed and wished id stayed at home. so we went home and got our things and started on our journey. we left our town at 12.45pm.
at 1.30am id had no more BH since leaving the hospital and we came across some road works, within a minute i had a BH, 3 mins later i had another, i kept quiet and as i was coming into greymouth i said to hubby contractions 3 mis apart and have been since roadworks, mum and my cousin were in another car behind us.
we got to the hospital at 2am and went up to the ward where i was strapped up to the monitor again, hubby went to the maternity lounge to have a sleep and mum and my cousin stayed with me, i was laying down and the contractions were still very regular at 3 mins and getting a bit stronger. midwife came in at 3am to chack me and seen contractions, she then gave me an internal and said i was 75% effaced and 3 nearly 4cm dialated. YES!!!!!! so stoked, i asked her, so am i having a baby today? she said, you are having a baby this morning! she rang the house surgeon to come and put an iv line in me for antibiotics as i am strep b positive.
at 4am i decided i wanted a bath so went and jumped in that for an hour, man what a bath! was so awesome, was deep and round! i was uncomfortable but not in heaps of pain, i was still "with" it and joking around. at 5am the bath was getting cold so i went back to my room and rocked the contractions out as they were getting painful by this stage, very painful and couldnt talk through them. i wanted to go for a smoke outside thats all i could think of but the midwife would not let me as i had to go down stairs to go outside and contractions were a min apart. i argued with her coz she wouldnt let me. then i decided i wanted another bath, so made my way back to the delivery room and as i entered i grabbed the bed and had 1 massive contractions that HURT LIKE HELL! Midwife made me get up on the bed to check me, as i got up i felt i needed to go poo and i looked behind me and saw hubby and my cousin standing right there, i snapped and said get out i need to poo, they didnt move so i said it again until they walked out, i did not want them seeing that! nothing came out and i laid on my back and she checked me, by this time it was 5.50am, she said i was 100%effaced and 10cm dialated and could feel babys head right there! my waters hadnt broken so she asked if i wanted her to break them, i said yes, she wasnt even half way through breaking them when i had a huge urge to push and couldnt control it, it hurt in my back that i had to quickly roll over to be on all fours, the contractions were 1 after the other and no break in between, i kept pushing and pushing and pushing, was so painful as i couldnt breath as there was no break in between! his head was out within 4 minutes and the cord was wrapped around his neck very tight that he was making a horrible noise like choking. By the time i was at this stage with jesse i was exauhsted and was in another world even tho i hadnt had drugs, i dont remeber much from his birth.
With this one i was still very much awake and could uunderstand everything around me, i was watching between my legs as the midwfe had the babys head and baby wouldnt turn and she couldnt get her fingers around the cord, she told mum to turn video camera off which was when the reality of how serious things were hit me.
she managed to get her finger behind the cord after about a minute and cut it, as soon as he cut it he fell out and was passed through my legs and as i sat up my placenta was there. the midwife got a bit worried as in all her career she has never seen the placenta come away right after baby, its usually a couple of mins after not seconds.
So after 4 and half hours of labor and a few minutes pushing
Kieran was born and i finally had my lil boy!
labor and birth was completley drug free (apart from antibiotics)
they gave bubs some oxygen and then had skin to skin for 30 mins, i couldnt see hubby and asked where he was, he was outside having a smoke, he got mad at me when i told them to go when i wanted to poo, instead of just waiting outside he got in a mood and went out side, mum had gone after him and said, she is in pain she doesnt mean what she says and dont take anything personally, but he did, (he had been woken up when i was heading down to the delivery room at 5.45am) mum was really mad at him as he had been a sleep through the whole labor when he should of been the one supporting me and now he was shitty and going outside. he made his way back to the room and was a bit upset that he had missed the whole birth but had no one else to blame but himself.
Baby's head was all blue compared to his body and his head was all swollen from the pressure of the cord around his neck, it took 12 hours for the blue to go away completely. it was touch and go but he is a strong wee bugger and scored 7/10 for his APGARS at 1min old and 10/10 at 5 mins old so he was great!

at lunchtime we decided to come back to our local hospital to stay overnight, it took all day to agree on a name, i wanted harrison and hubby wanted kieran which i disliked but in the end gave in as i had named jess so it was only fair.
we stayed the night here and felt very confident to go home at lunch the next day (tues)
Kieran is such an awesome baby, he loves to sleep!
the swelling in his face took a couple of days to go down. and i am sooooo in love with him, i love to have him on my chest and snuggle into the back of his neck, i just wanna eat him up!

sorry this is so long, just wanted to put it all in detail!

Thanks for reading!! xx
Mum of jj
Mum of jj

Number of posts : 622
Loyalty Rating : 17628
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Hospital Birth Empty Re: Hospital Birth

Post  Lily*Blossom Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:14 am

Our beautiful baby girl.
Born April 9th, 2008 at 9:02 p.m.
Weight: 7 lbs 2 oz
Length: 20 inches

OK, so I was asked to check into the hospital at 8 pm on Tuesday, April 8th. I was to lie down all night with what I call a magic string inside me. The job of the string is to ripen your cervix, it does not cause contractions and such. I contracted all night regularly on my own, they were mostly what felt like strong Braxton Hicks, but they were coming every 5 minutes. By morning, my doctor came into check me, and he announced that I was between a 1-2, and he broke my water JUST LIKE THAT!! I yelled, it was NOT comfortable, and I also wasn't expecting it! LOL. Stuff started gushing, it felt like the heaviest period of my life or something, and the amniotic fluid was really warm like pee!

Well, right then, I said I wanted the epidural, because they were gonna start me on the pitossin, and I KNEW it was gonna kill. It was a blessing in disguise that I opted for the epidural early, because the anesthesiologist tried FIVE different times to get that huge needle in, only to discover that I had scoliosis in my lower back, which I never knew I had. Had I been further along in labor, I don't think I would have been able to sit still for five different attempts. By the fourth attempt, I was screaming bloody murder, and they decided to let me go to the bathroom, and then give it one last try. While I was having a biological break, my husband mentioned that I am very flexible, and the doctor attempting the epidural got an idea. He had me sit Indian chief style, and lean over far, and he managed to get the needle positioned, but a little too far in, because I started to leak spinal fluid. He told me that it wouldn't affect my epidural, but that afterwards, he would have to do a blood patch, to get rid of that hole that was leaking. I will explain the blood patch thing later.

Well, I progressed slowly through out the day, things were rather boring and uneventful, it was just a matter of waiting for the pitossin and to do it's job. One time during the labor, LM's heart rate dropped to 100, which isn't serious, but the heart rate dropped, because I had too many contractions in a row. They were surprised how sensitive my body was to the pitossin, as they have a scale on which they measure pit, which is 1-20, 20 being high, and I was in full on labor at a level 3. So after they turned it down, the contractions slowed down to about every 6 minutes instead of every 2-3, so they turned the pit back onto a one.

My doctor checked me around 7:50 pm, and I was between 7-8 cm dilated. It's funny, because I told him not to go too far away, because my mom goes from 7 cm to 10 cm dilated instantly. It was the same for me!!!! The anesthesiologist was topping up my epidural, and I felt like a GIANT poo was coming or something. I started saying to the nurse that I needed to push. She was all arguing with me, saying that I was just checked and there was no way I could be ready to push. I was shivering, and stuff, I knew I was in transition. She left the room, and I was getting upset, asking my husband why she wouldn't let me push. I was all attitudey!!! LOL. Well finally the nurse gave up arguing with me, and checked me, and I was a 9, and after she rubbed her finger around in my cervix, I was a 10. The doctor came rushing up. We started counting, I was getting 3 pushes with every contraction. Pushing really wasn't hard for me at all. My husband said that he was amazed, because I never screamed out very loud, I never said the words,"I can't." I just kept pushing, and envisioning myself holding my baby. What really helped me through the labor, was the fact that the nurse and the doctor, were keeping me updated about my progress during pushing helped a lot. For example, they would say,"Okay 2 more inches and she is through the pelvis. Okay, 1 more inch, 1/2 inch." Ect. LM's heart rate was steady through out the delivery, she never became distressed at all, and I really think it was because I was focused and quite calm.

I tore a teeny bit, only had a few stitches. It was uncomfortable, but bearable.

So my husband, who is afraid of blood, and anything medical, was sitting on a stool next to me, with his head between his knees. He heard the doctor tell me to push one last time, and then he heard LM crying. I cried, I was so happy and overwhelmed. My husband did manage to get that one picture right after she came out, and was placed on my chest. I was proud of him for not fainting!! LOL. After I gave birth, they did the blood patch. The doctor had to take blood from my arm, and fill the hole that was leaking spinal fluid with my blood, which worked. I did not get one head ache, and I recovered well. My back was very sore, and still is, from being stuck with that giant needle multiple times. I think getting the epidural put in, was worse than pushing my daughter out!

Well LM was a bit jaundice, we had to put her in front of the window for 30 minutes, twice a day. She fully recovered, and quickly went from skinny to fat!
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20895
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Hospital Birth Empty Re: Hospital Birth

Post  Helen Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Great stories ladies !!!
Helen
Helen
Rocket Fingers!!