Parent Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 185 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Just popped in

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

Comments: 0

Anyone still here?

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am by MommaBear

Comments: 7

Latest topics
» Kerala Flats: “An Abode Built In Harmony”
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 am by jesobere

» So who is who?
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:39 am by Nikki985

» Pregnant!!
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm by mscherry42

» Anyone else in the TWW?
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:40 am by Nelli2013

» Just popped in
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am by MommaBear

» Organic Baby Products - For my Baby!!!!!!!!
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am by sarahgreen

» On to #3!!
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm by Angel

» Nexplanon implant
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm by lindzee

» TTC'rs ,Charters and Chart Cheerleaders! 2010~
Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:57 pm by lindzee

Gallery

Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 Empty
Statistics
We have 90 registered users
The newest registered user is galaxy1981

Our users have posted a total of 28198 messages in 1516 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips & Recipe Shares..

+12
sparkles
dolly's momma
Georgi
Myste
BethG
Gutter
kellybean
Lily*Blossom
mscherry42
Helen
24Penguins
Leeaman
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips & Recipe Shares..

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 am

lol cherry!! i like your cooking style Smile/happy
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Number of posts : 2661
Loyalty Rating : 18838
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/24penguins

Back to top Go down

Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips  & Recipe Shares.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Baking/Cooking Ideas, Tips & Recipe Shares..

Post  mscherry42 Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:46 am

LOL. I really need to start measuring and writing down what I when I cook, so that I can pass some of these "cooking skills" down to the girls. I have a friend at work, who didn't cook at all when we first met. She now cooks 2% more now, which in my opinion, is an improvement. But, I bring her food sometimes to work, and she loves it, and wants my "recipes". I laugh at her because I don't know. So, I wrote up a mac n cheese recipe for her. That when I realized just how little I pay attention to actual measurements. As long as it tastes and looks good on the plate(sometimes it doesn' have to look good) then I'm happy with it!!
mscherry42
mscherry42
Serious Poster
Serious Poster

Number of posts : 780
Loyalty Rating : 19473
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:18 am

lol i hear ya cherry!!! i do the same thing sometimes, but now that im trying to eat super healthy im paying a lot more attention to what im putting in the food!! haha!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gutter Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Before i cook my pumpkin seeds I sprinkle seasoning on top of them, yummy!!! I make them every year, actually had quite the batch to myself this week, DF doesn't like them.

Gutter
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1455
Loyalty Rating : 20134
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:28 pm

lol gutter!!! what kind of seasonings do you put on em?

24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily*Blossom Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Paprika and salt taste great on pumpkin seeds. You can use any kind of seasoned salt.

As for your question on roasting the pumpkin seeds... here's a recipe Smile/happy

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

Pumpkin seeds
Cooking spray, olive oil, or butter
Optional: Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, or other seasoning of choice

Preparation:
1)Rinse pumpkin seeds. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp. Spread out on a cookie sheet to dry overnight.

2)Preheat oven to 250 F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil.

3)Toss pumpkin seeds in olive oil, butter, or spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, or your choice of seasonings. Toss to coat.

4)Bake about 1 hour, tossing every 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.

5)Cool pumpkin seeds before eating. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.

tip * If you like your toasted pumpkin seeds extra-salty, soak overnight in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups of water. Dry an additional day, then proceed as above.
Lily*Blossom
Lily*Blossom

Number of posts : 1880
Loyalty Rating : 20925
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:47 pm

cool, thanks Tiff!!! i cant wait!! hehe, i have to wait till payday to buy a pumpkin though, lol. then we will carve and roast the seeds Smile/happy
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeaman Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh now I am going to have to go get a pumpkin and try that. Thanks Tiff
Leeaman
Leeaman

Number of posts : 409
Loyalty Rating : 17478

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:11 pm

24Penguins wrote:te he he!!! cool!!! its funny, im sooo getting into cooking now that everyones basically made me bite the bullet and make just one meal from scratch, now i want to do more! ive been online half the day looking up recipes and putting together a food list for next week!!! hehehe!!! so healthy baking on the weekends could be loads of fun!!

Ok Nika, which receipe would you like next?
My homemade spaghetti sauce
Stuffed Green Peppers
Stuffed Shells

All are a bit more involved than the Sour Cream Gravy Pork Chops, but I'm positive you can do this.

I know you're on a budget, but now that you're learning new things to make, you can pick up nonperishable ingredients for future meals when you have room in your weekly food budget.

I'm thinking of you like the little sister I never had! Ok, I'm probably closer to your mom's age but we're not going to think about that, lol.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Number of posts : 1776
Loyalty Rating : 22731
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Ok, I'd really like a good receipe for a Tuna Noodle Casserole (one without Cream of Mushroom soup) since my last one failed.

Also, a homemade Macaroni and Cheese since my hubby doesn't care for my mom's receipe.

Anybody?
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:51 pm

BethG wrote:
24Penguins wrote:te he he!!! cool!!! its funny, im sooo getting into cooking now that everyones basically made me bite the bullet and make just one meal from scratch, now i want to do more! ive been online half the day looking up recipes and putting together a food list for next week!!! hehehe!!! so healthy baking on the weekends could be loads of fun!!

Ok Nika, which receipe would you like next?
My homemade spaghetti sauce
Stuffed Green Peppers
Stuffed Shells

All are a bit more involved than the Sour Cream Gravy Pork Chops, but I'm positive you can do this.

I know you're on a budget, but now that you're learning new things to make, you can pick up nonperishable ingredients for future meals when you have room in your weekly food budget.

I'm thinking of you like the little sister I never had! Ok, I'm probably closer to your mom's age but we're not going to think about that, lol.

oooh beth all three sound wonderful!!!! hehehe. give me more motivation, tonights dinner was a bust! neither me or DF would eat it lol, it was that funky. oh well. i guess one out of 6 isnt bad right?

oh and about my mom, try again, shes 60
shock LOL!!! my parents were older when they had me, the baby of 5 girls.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 pm

BethG wrote:Ok, I'd really like a good receipe for a Tuna Noodle Casserole (one without Cream of Mushroom soup) since my last one failed.

Also, a homemade Macaroni and Cheese since my hubby doesn't care for my mom's receipe.

Anybody?

next time i talk to my mom ill ask her for her homemade mac and cheese recipe, its awesome!!!! one of my favs from when i was a kid Smile/happy
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Cool 24P! I'd like to try your mom's mac and cheese.

And hey, your mom is only 10yrs younger than my mom!

Ok, here's my (my mom's) spaghetti sauce receipe. My hubby likes it quite a bit and neither of us will order spaghetti in a restaurant anymore!

Brown 1 lb. ground meat. I use ground chuck because I feel it has the best flavor. Ground beef is cheaper but usually less lean. Ground round is usually the most expensive and the leanest. Include one small chopped onion with the meat. I season with garlic salt while it's browning.

To reduce fat, I put the browned meat on a paper towel on a paper plate to soak up the excess. I also wipe my skillet with a paper towel.

Add 2 cans tomatoes (12oz each, I think) and 2 cans tomato paste (6oz each) and 2 cups water. I use DelMonte diced tomatos with basil, garlic, and oregano. For tomato paste I use Contadina brand with italian herbs. The seasoned tomatoes and paste mean you don't have to add very much other seasoning.

Stir up the tomatoey stuff and then add the meat/onion mixture. Turn up to medium heat until it starts to bubble and then turn to Medium/Low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, so it bubbles gently. I add more herbs, but you can just sprinkle in some generic "italian seasoning" and maybe a bit more garlic salt and pepper, if desired. I use a splatter shield with a piece of aluminum foil over the skillet to reduce splatter.

That's it! You can also add mushrooms, green peppers, or whatever else you like!

Last edited by BethG on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 pm

that sounds awesome beth!!!! im def. gonna give it a go next week Smile/happy hehe dont have the ingredients this week and already spent the budget for the week lol

24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:37 pm

I edited my post a bit so it reads to simmer 20-30 minutes. I realized that 20min may not be enough.

Had spaghetti tonight! And hubby wants some for tomorrow's lunch. He eats it COLD! He's strange.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 pm

lol!!! at least he isnt like DF and just whines till i heat it up lol!!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Myste Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Hmm. I've never followed a recipe for mac & cheese. I just boil the pasta as usual, drain and put in a casserole dish coated with cookign spray.In a separate pot I start off with a basic roux (1/2 c flour 1/2c butter) and add milk until it's thinned out, then add cheese until it's cheesy! Pour it over the pasta, mix. Top with bread crumbs if you want, and stick under the broiler until the top's browned. I vary the cheese to use up whatever is on hand - Last week was a combination of cheddar and cheese curds. Sometimes I use flavored cheddars- so far whiskey cheddar's been the biggest hit, smoked mozzarella, etc. A little goes a long way with some cheeses.

Made another batch of bread dough yesterday ( I posted the recipe a while ago in a different thread) and baked off a couple mini loaves last night for dinner, and baked another this morning for DF to take to work with his lunch. Yummy! Nothing like fresh baked bread right out of the oven.
Myste
Myste
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 182
Loyalty Rating : 17292

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 pm

lol myste im sure you dont need a recipe, didnt you go to culinary school or something like that? haha!!
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Myste Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 pm

I did go to Western Culinary Institute.

But I majored in restaurant management, not cooking. Smile/happy
Myste
Myste
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 182
Loyalty Rating : 17292

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:34 pm

lol, oh ok! haha, still, i think you have a one up on the rest of us Smile/happy lol.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeaman Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 am

Oh Beth, I am going to make that sauce next week for sure, yummy......

My hubbies step Mom use to make him and siblings this Mac and Cheese meal when they were growing up and we started making it ourselves and it is pretty good if anyone is interested, there is not much of a recipe to it as you just add the amount you want but I will give it anyways in case anyone is interested.

Macaroni Noodles - desired amount
Grated Cheese - any flavor - roughly 2 cups, pending on how cheesy you like it
A piece of Deli Cooked Ham about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick cut into small cubes, not too small
2 Eggs
Salt n' Pepper
Cayenne Pepper - your own desired amount, but it can get hot if you add too much

Boil your Macaroni until just tender, and strain.
Pour Macaroni into a big bowl and add cubed cooked Ham.
Add 1 cup of the Cheese, and 2 Eggs,
Sprinkle with Salt n' Pepper - desired amount,
Finish by sprinkling with Cayenne Pepper, I tend to use a nice amount because we like a nice kick to this meal.
Mix altogether and pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and serve.

Tip: Goes great with Garlic Bread with or without Cheese and a nice Salad of your choice.
If you make it pretty hot with the Cayenne a nice glass of cold milk will go good with this too..
Leeaman
Leeaman

Back to top Go down

Post  BethG Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks leeaman. I think I'm going to try this tonight. I was going to have ham anyway so this will fit in perfectly.

Tonight I'll post either the Stuffed Green Peppers or Stuffed Shells receipes. The green peppers one is straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. The shells is from another crock pot/easy meals cookbook that my SIL gave me.

24P, you should ask for a BC cookbook for Christmas. Just a good staple to have around.
BethG
BethG
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  24Penguins Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:45 am

ok i dont want to sound like a total idiot, but whats a BC Cookbook? lol.
24Penguins
24Penguins
Parentiseaholic
Parentiseaholic

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeaman Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 am

24Penguins wrote:ok i dont want to sound like a total idiot, but whats a BC Cookbook? lol.

It's a Betty Crocker Cookbook.
Leeaman
Leeaman

Back to top Go down

Post  kellybean Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 am

ohhh, those sound delic ladies.
Keep posting! Thank heavens for cut and paste!! :tongue:
kellybean
kellybean
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Number of posts : 173
Loyalty Rating : 17077
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next